Pocket pistols, just a reminder.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
I never hardly check my Airweight over when I slip it in my pocket every morning. This morning I decided to clean it up some, he needed cleaning bad. After I unloaded him I looked to see how dirty the barrel was. To my surprise their was a kernel of corn stuck in the barrel. The next thing I noticed was how much wear the grips and nickel finish had indured through the years. I sprayed him down with brake clean and blowed him off good with the air hose, dry fired him a few times, reloaded and put him back in my pocket. All he does is sit in my pocket by day, and then spends the night sleeping next to me. Think I will keep a little better eye on him from now on. He's a good friend.

TennesseeTuxedo":3e59u59j said:
Perhaps it would be a good idea to fire the little bugger a few times as well once in a while?
Pay attention TT. Not "the little bugger" but "him". I have to love a guy who gets attached to his gun. Be careful highgrit. When I was about 18, a neighbor who always slept with his pistol had it go off in the night and shoot him in the lower abdomen. He survived but died not too long afterward of complications.

Cowboy, it's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. I guess for folks that don't carry all the time they just can't understand. I never leave the house without my wallet and Case Trapper either. Inyati, that olé boy had a bad dream. I do keep mine on the night stand.

The area where i live has always been like a sheltered area, low crime area, but I do see things changing with illegal traffic of people, and the high drug traffic in the area. I stay away from larger cities with their crime but I see it creeping my way, and with the laws getting more lax on drug use , the crime rate will go up. I have though of getting a carry permit and may have to do so in the future.

inyati13":2hi4l828 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2hi4l828 said:
Perhaps it would be a good idea to fire the little bugger a few times as well once in a while?
Pay attention TT. Not "the little bugger" but "him". I have to love a guy who gets attached to his gun. Be careful highgrit. When I was about 18, a neighbor who always slept with his pistol had it go off in the night and shoot him in the lower abdomen. He survived but died not too long afterward of complications.
http://blogcritics.org/darwin-award-can ... an-shoots/

Would be a good idea to carry in a pocket holster. Keeps keys and such from getting jammed, stuff climbing in the barrel and less printing of what is in your pocket. I know where my pocket gun points when I am carrying in my front pocket so want to take advantage of all safety precautions!!!

TexasBred":1wsormc1 said:
inyati13":1wsormc1 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1wsormc1 said:
http://blogcritics.org/darwin-award-can ... an-shoots/

TB, talk about gone nuts! :D

I never had a carry permit. I worked on the road most of my life. Never could afford to stay in hotels/motels suitable for a family vacation. I found myself putting a chair by the door, my wallet in the pillow case and a 9 or 10 ml under the pillow. What a sheltered life I've retired to. Thank you Jesus!!

fitz

fitz":1zqvsoct said:
I never had a carry permit. I worked on the road most of my life. Never could afford to stay in hotels/motels suitable for a family vacation. I found myself putting a chair by the door, my wallet in the pillow case and a 9 or 10 ml under the pillow. What a sheltered life I've retired to. Thank you Jesus!!

fitz

fitz, I was coming through Iowa on the interstate. I was so tired I was falling asleep. I stopped at the next motel. Big mistake. It didn't look right when I went in. When I got to the room, it was unbelieveable. It was filthy. I never pulled back the covers. I laid with all my clothes on. I had by 1911 Wilson Combat 45 across my chest. BTW: The proper way to carry a 1911 is with a round in the chamber, cocked and safety on. I have had people scold me when they saw the hammer back. They are uninformed on the proper way to carry a 1911.

As soon as I laid down, I could hear the moaning. It was obviously a house of ill-repute. Worse night I ever spent in a motel. I should tell you the story of what happened to me one night in a low range motel in Washington, DC. Another time. :D

Farmerjon":25nk8omm said:
Would be a good idea to carry in a pocket holster. Keeps keys and such from getting jammed, stuff climbing in the barrel and less printing of what is in your pocket. I know where my pocket gun points when I am carrying in my front pocket so want to take advantage of all safety precautions!!!

I agree, it not only will keep the gun cleaner but I think it's safer too. There are a lot of very nice pocket holsters for sale nowadays.

Not a lot of crime in my area either but you never know. Last year a drug addict broke into a place about ten miles from me and ended up killing the woman with a knife. It never happens to you until it does.

That said I would never use it unless someone was using deadly force on me or someone else.

highgrit":25sc0rm4 said:
Cowboy, it's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. I guess for folks that don't carry all the time they just can't understand. I never leave the house without my wallet and Case Trapper either. Inyati, that olé boy had a bad dream. I do keep mine on the night stand.
I understand.
I have a Colt Mustang or a 1911 on me at all times.
I have one in reach 24/7/365.

Richardin52":2muhgzqq said:
Farmerjon":2muhgzqq said:

I agree, it not only will keep the gun cleaner but I think it's safer too. There are a lot of very nice pocket holsters for sale nowadays.

Not a lot of crime in my area either but you never know. Last year a drug addict broke into a place about ten miles from me and ended up killing the woman with a knife. It never happens to you until it does.

That said I would never use it unless someone was using deadly force on me or someone else.
What would you do if a more powerful or skilled person hit you and broke some teeth, hit you so hard you saw stars, knocked you down, and was kicking you.
Just wait until he got tired of what he was doing?

[/quote]What would you do if a more powerful or skilled person hit you and broke some teeth, hit you so hard you saw stars, knocked you down, and was kicking you.
Just wait until he got tired of what he was doing?[/quote]

I just love it when people start with the what if's

What would you do if one or more people "hit you and broke some teeth, hit you so hard you saw stars, knocked you down, and was kicking you." Wait till they kicked you in the head, you got swelling on the brain and died? Yes you would because you could not defend yourself.

Hands and feet can be deadly weapons too. If someone is using deadly force on you, your first obligation is to get away. If you cannot get away and you fear for your life, then you can legally use deadly force to protect yourself.

Before anyone starts carrying a fire arm I would recommend 4 things. # 1 Have a level head and not be prone to fighting or don't carry. # 2 Carry some type of nonlethal weapon too. If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. # 3 Get some training and know the laws in your state pertaining to self defense and using deadly force. # 4 Get some of this;
http://ccwsafe.com/

I sleep with a 38 on the night stand next to me. I've never been able to carry much with me when I work, just seems it doesn't work out, when I work I carry as little as possible.

Larry

Case history on murder with a deadly weapon, you will find that "shoes" have been determined to be "deadly weapons" based on admissible evidence on the way they are made and used in the assault that resulted in the death of the victim.

Every trial is unique, the counsel/solicitor for you is going to use the circumstances of the case to defend you. You have to determine in your head if you want to be a victim and die or suffer the rest of your life with a debilitating injury. Getting old is challenge enough. I don't subscribe to not defending yourself because you are afraid of going to court. After all, OJ got off. Take that as an incentive!!! :D

I carried my little 357 mag in a coat pocket for a while and then got disgusted with how it looked one day....
I bought a little cheap holster and clip it inside my waist band now....I bought a left handed holster and wear it inside the waist band on the right side....vest or a loose fitting shirt hides it real well....

I have tried it in several positions but ended up liking it right on my hip...small of back was second choice but uncomfortable when driving....

inside the waist band it is held in place and pretty secure by the belt....outside the band it is top heavy due to short barrel and always tried to fall out of the holster even with the little safety strap engaged.....