Pneumonia

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I had a calf born with one front leg back. I was there before the calf started out, and saw what was happening. We got the cow in the chute, and she continued pushing so that the nose was out, and it's tongue was out really long. I had to put my arm inside and hold it there until she stopped pushing before I could find it's leg, and pull the leg and shoulder up where it could slide out. It took a while as she would not stop pushing.

This cow and calf are separated from the herd.

When the calf came out, the tongue was swollen, the eyes were really blood shot, and it did not start breathing. After all the rubbing, scrubbing, etc..... I finally just stuffed sealed off it's tongue and mouth off, and blew in its nose and inflated it's lungs, and it coughed. So, it was breathing with rattling. .

It could not suck a bottle for a few days because it's tongue was swollen and I tubed it. I milked the cow, and fed it the colostrum. I did this until it's sucking reflex started, then from the bottle to cow.

I gave the calf a shot of Zactran over 10 days ago which was when it was a day old. It improved, was walking around, playing, but not like the other calves.
Yesterday was Spring shot time for the cows. When it was time for that cow and calf to go to the chute, the calf was running, and it became very winded, and started panting; the cow went to the chute alone. The breathing had become easy until then.

After the Zactran didn't do the job, "denvermartinfarm's" suggested Zuprevo. I talked to the vet, and gave the calf a shot two hours ago.
When I did, he was panting like a dog, which was not good.
He is still nursing good and can jump up like a rabbit. I will give a report on how the medication works on the calf. I really appreciate denvermartinfarms bringing up the Zuprevo!
Chuckie

Just had a calf with pneumonia for the first time. Hit him with nuflor twice and then draxxin( micotil) cause he still seemed a little off. Gave banamine the first three days to drop fever that was 105, reduce breathing rate, and heart rate. BoSe and probias may do him some good. Never used zuprevo. Just my two cents if any helps.

This also is the first time I have had a calf with pneumonia. I gave him the shot at 3:00 PM, and went back out at 7:00 to see how he was doing. His breathing was slower, and was not panting. I do believe he was a bit more alert.

I have given him a few doses of probios shadyhollownj, with all the meds I have given him and a B12 shot. The banamine couldn't hurt him; when I get up in the morning, I will see how he is getting along. If he hasn't made a miracle recovery, I will pick some up to ease his discomfort when I go through town. Fever is rough.
Chuckie

I checked the calf this morning at 7:00, and his breathing had changed dramatically. He still is breathing faster than he should, but it is 100 times better than it was last night. When I checked on him yesterday, he got winded within a minute, and had to lay down. He can walk and stay up, and continues to nurse. I'll give a report on the medication and the calf later on tonight.
Chuckie

Last night when I checked on the calf, he was breathing better than that morning. He was bucking, and playing, so there was definitely a change. His breathing is still a little fast, as I am sure it will take some time to clear his lungs out. But what a difference he made in the first 24 hours. Then a dramatic change in the next 12.

This morning his breathing has slowed a little more; but it appears that his mother has probably stepped on his stifle joint. It doesn't seem to have injured the joint, but it took a spot of hide off about the size of a silver dollar. It didn't go to the muscle, but id did take the skin off. Thank goodness that the flies are not out. Looks like a tetanus shot is coming.
I will keep it sprayed with Vetericyn and keep a close eye on it for infection. This calf has had more needles stuck in him than a pin cushion.
Overall, he feels better.

Denvermartinfarms, I do appreciate you telling me about this drug!

Chuckie

Latest posts