Pneumonia questions

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I ave never had a cow have pneumonia, vet thinks we have a case in a cow and a calf. Cow acts depressed, stays off to herself. Her manure is thin and stinks like nothing I ever smelled with calves scouring before. Cow has no nasal discharge but the vet said there have been a lot of cases here lately.

Anyone ever have them with the scour with pneumonia?

No.
How is their breathing? Fast and labored? temp?
Yeah they do look and act depressed, ears droop.
Surprised that there is no nasal discharge.
Second opinion is needed.

I luv herfrds":26pa49q3 said:
No.

Breathing seems ok. Calf has a temp of 104.5. Calf has a slight nasal discharge.
Cow has none, but her manure is almost to the point of what I call scours.

tom4018":2q4ynou1 said:
I luv herfrds":2q4ynou1 said:
No.

Breathing seems ok. Calf has a temp of 104.5. Calf has a slight nasal discharge.
Cow has none, but her manure is almost to the point of what I call scours.

Tom is it possible they have Cocidious(sp) as well, the temperature is trying to kill invading bacteria it will kill the good as well and cause scours. The same thing will happen with antibotics might try putting corrid in there drinking water.

I luv herfrds":igh15ghk said:
No.
Often there is no nasal discharge. I have had calves with pneumonia that I didn;t realize had it until the vet came out to look at another and decided to check all so long as he is there. It can be seen in the temp and heard with a stethoscope. The sooner you get it diagnosed and treat the better. Test her manure, it is a cheap test ~ then you can treat directly rather than taking shots in the dark. You will need prescription meds anyhow.

Tom, at 104.5 we need to get the fever down first, that is way too high . You're going to need a good antibiotic, Draxxin, Nuflor, Baytril, A180, Micotil, one of those plus Banamine, plus probios . Pnuemonia can cause all kinds of symptoms, the corid will not hurt anything and it is possible it could help, but I think at this point you need to treat the pnuemonia aggressively .

Larry

larryshoat":173x62km said:
Tom, at 104.5 we need to get the fever down first, that is way too high . You're going to need a good antibiotic, Draxxin, Nuflor, Baytril, A180, Micotil, one of those plus Banamine, plus probios . Pnuemonia can cause all kinds of symptoms, the corid will not hurt anything and it is possible it could help, but I think at this point you need to treat the pnuemonia aggressively .

Larry
They were given nuflor, banamine and a vitamin shot yesterday. Got to pick up some probios today.

tom4018":c6owygch said:
They were given nuflor, banamine

That should cure them. Works for me.

The 50 and 60 degree temp swings aren't helping the cattle situation. It is going to be 80 degrees today here. Front comes in tonight.

Angie we have had numerous cattle that have had pneumonia, mainly in our calves that we kept. The nasal discharge was one of the last signs. Droopy ears, off by themselves, fast breathing or labored breathing then the discharge. Not really interested in eating.
Went through that pasterella pneumonia a couple of years ago, now that one was crazy. No discharge there.
Moved our calves from the lower corral to the upper corral and have not had a case in them since. we don't keep any stock down there until we start calving. Lost first year heifers down there too from pneumonia.

Still have the manure tested. Or, just give her a sulfa bolus or two. Same for the calf. If she does have coccidiosis, the medicines you gave will not help much, if any. The bolus won't hurt a thing if she doesn't have coccidiosis.

Latest posts