Pneumonia 2nd Treatment?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954":3v5497z0 said:
I was hoping I was over reacting and wrong but her fever was over 103. Doctor said it might be one of those antibiotic resistant pneumonias.

normal cattle temp is 101.5. looks like youre in texas and probably had to work her a little to get her where you could take her temp. given that, 103 doesn't shiver my timbers.

Make sure you tell the sale barn to put her in the kill pen. you don't want to send someone else home with your problem. If she doesn't make a turn around here, I'd be about pulling the calf off her and selling it off the farm. Probably get some decent money and give the cow a break. Is she still milking good?

angus9259":9j9n0g6y said:
BK9954":9j9n0g6y said:
I was hoping I was over reacting and wrong but her fever was over 103. Doctor said it might be one of those antibiotic resistant pneumonias.

normal cattle temp is 101.5. looks like youre in texas and probably had to work her a little to get her where you could take her temp. given that, 103 doesn't shiver my timbers.

Make sure you tell the sale barn to put her in the kill pen. you don't want to send someone else home with your problem. If she doesn't make a turn around here, I'd be about pulling the calf off her and selling it off the farm. Probably get some decent money and give the cow a break. Is she still milking good?
Decent milk for a heifer, her calf is growing really good, with the rain and cooler weather this week it looks like she is doing better with the excede. Doctor said she will probably have some permanant scarring.

BK9954":2i93z92w said:
Decent milk for a heifer, her calf is growing really good, with the rain and cooler weather this week it looks like she is doing better with the excede. Doctor said she will probably have some permanant scarring.

She will probably have permanent scarring and will never be 100% again. I would recommend selling her once she recooperates and the antibiotic withdrawal times have passed, especially if you live in a warm or hot and humid climate.

A picture of her and her calf. She is my only black cow with no brahma influence. She is doing better but she should do well at the auction. If she recovers fully I can still sell her as a pair.

I think she looks pretty good. We had one chronic that we sold & another that just seemed to snap out of it & fully recover, no issues in 2 years (knock wood). Flip a coin if you really like her but I lean towards selling.

I seem to hold a grudge over high doctor bills. If she is "iffy" in 30 days she is gone, if she recovers I will put her with my brangus bull and sell her as bred next spring with her weaned bull calf. I dont like problems and she has been an expensive one, lost money on her this year.

BK9954":dbzvgpu5 said:
I seem to hold a grudge over high doctor bills. If she is "iffy" in 30 days she is gone, if she recovers I will put her with my brangus bull and sell her as bred next spring with her weaned bull calf. I dont like problems and she has been an expensive one, lost money on her this year.

There's your answer. Buh-bye!

I would get her palpated. Possible she could have a mummified twin in there or something! Especially after all of the antibiotics not really doing the trick.

The doctor palpated her when I took her in the first time and flushed her out with fluid to wash her out. He thought a twin at first.

Latest posts