PNEU Darts

Help Support CattleToday:

How much medicine can one dart deliver? I was treating for pink eye today and since LA 200 calls for 4.5 ml per 100 pounds, I'm giving 4-5 shots to each. How many times would I need to "shoot" them?

jnm303":1dmxa6by said:
How much medicine can one dart deliver? I was treating for pink eye today and since LA 200 calls for 4.5 ml per 100 pounds, I'm giving 4-5 shots to each. How many times would I need to "shoot" them?

Mine is the pump type rifle. I've had great luck with it.
The largest darts offered are 10cc. One thing I would suggest is to go to LA 300 the dosage is less.
I use LA 300 on calves for pinkeye. Draxxcin on cows for pinkeye and foot rot. The Draxxicin is pricey but it allows me to stop pinkeye at its onset. For foot rot it's a dart once and forget! One other thing I've found is they won't push Nuflor its to thick. B&G

jnm303":1zbt4eye said:
10ml. LA is to thinck anyway.
10ml of drax cures it right up.

I darted a bred heifer with 10 ml of la 300. Now she has a huge lump on her neck. Bigger than a softball. Never had that bad of a reaction before.

jedstivers":3ad3h9ib said:
jnm303":3ad3h9ib said:

I use LA300 all the time with no issues. B&G

Jeanne - Simme Valley":15rz5gou said:
Do you just follow them around until the dart falls off/out so you can retrieve it?

No, usually I'll find them later. If not it's only a 1/2" needle and they are aluminum. B&G

Black and Good":1nkcrccz said:
jedstivers":1nkcrccz said:
jnm303":1nkcrccz said:

What good is 10ml?
Do you use 3 darts th get 30 in them?

We've got the pump up air rifle type, works good for it's intended purpose.

I've never used Draxxin, but have had good response using Mictil in ours for pinkeye treatment. Anyone compared both Micotil and Draxxin first-hand?

Also, I've yet to see any darts bigger than 10cc. Are there any bigger ones out there?

Tbrake":3qdajykp said:
I darted a bred heifer with 10 ml of la 300. Now she has a huge lump on her neck. Bigger than a softball. Never had that bad of a reaction before.

Never used LA in a dart gun because the dosage rates are so high, but we've had some pretty nice lumps from standard injections. They'll go away with time, and it bothers you a lot more than it does them.

I think we have fewer cases when using larger diameter needles (14/16 ga), I assume it causes less "turbulence" as the fluid exits the needle with less velocity. I've also noticed the same thing with Alpha 7.

cfpinz":lo0mkwcr said:
We've got the pump up air rifle type, works good for it's intended purpose.

I've never used Draxxin, but have had good response using Mictil in ours for pinkeye treatment. Anyone compared both Micotil and Draxxin first-hand?

Also, I've yet to see any darts bigger than 10cc. Are there any bigger ones out there?
I'll do all sorts of deadly sh! t but using Mictill won't be one of them.
I get to much on me and stuck to much.

jedstivers":ezjkjwkc said:
I'll do all sorts of deadly sh! t but using Mictill won't be one of them.
I get to much on me and stuck to much.

Gotta die of something!

I'll admit it's a little unnerving loading the darts with it.

Talked to one of the local vets today, she's worried Draxxin is getting overused in dart guns and it's going to lose its' potency quickly.

jedstivers":163hh1ai said:
Black and Good":163hh1ai said:
jedstivers":163hh1ai said:

What good is 10ml?
Do you use 3 darts th get 30 in them?[/qu

If the animal is that large I won't use LA I usually use Draxxin. A Mature cow 10cc's of Draxxcin will normally fix what ales her.
B&G

Latest posts