Liking my Pneu-Dart gun!

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Well, I got my gun in the mail and didn't even have time to use the practice darts and sight it in. Lone behold had two cows with pinkeye coming on. So, I took it down missed with first shot 10cc dart. Then made 6 shots in a row all 10cc darts. Pretty cool deal. Here's some pics. B&G

Just a heads up - I have a cap-chur style gun and had to file a bit off the little nub on the needles so the darts would fall out better. I forgot to do it on some new syringes this winter and had a calf running around for 2 days with it hanging off his neck. I just happen to see it in the snow a week later otherwise it would still be out there.

Your lucky to have 3 darts in one cow, I could get one easily, but if I needed a second one it was much harder to get the cow to stand still. I highly doubt I could have ever gotten a third dart in. I prefer to run them in the chute but in an emergency it is nice to have a dart gun.

Your lucky to have 3 darts in one cow, I could get one easily, but if I needed a second one it was much harder to get the cow to stand still. I highly doubt I could have ever gotten a third dart in. I prefer to run them in the chute but in an emergency it is nice to have a dart gun.
I was wondering about that. Don't they usually spook and run off? I would think that they would get pretty "gun shy."

ChrisB":3d7var11 said:
Just a heads up - I have a cap-chur style gun and had to file a bit off the little nub on the needles so the darts would fall out better. I forgot to do it on some new syringes this winter and had a calf running around for 2 days with it hanging off his neck. I just happen to see it in the snow a week later otherwise it would still be out there.

If he's usin the type darts I use they have a gel collar that holds it in till the gel melts. That way all the meds get in. They can take up to a day to melt and fall out.

ChrisB":18mf723r said:

I actually gave another cow three darts right before this cow out in the pasture. Then they all followed me back to the barn for reloading! LOL. I try and keep the docile kind around here. But, it saves time and less stress on them and me I hope. B&G

Dogs and Cows":24jepv97 said:
So these darts can be loaded with meds or a tranquilizer? Do they damage the tissue at all?

Pretty cool!

Tim

Yes that is correct. No damage that I've seen so far. The first cow's second dart did bleed pretty good though. Guess I hit a vein. These shots were at 15 yards. B&G

jedstivers":2xshc9zy said:
ChrisB":2xshc9zy said:

If he's usin the type darts I use they have a gel collar that holds it in till the gel melts. That way all the meds get in. They can take up to a day to melt and fall out.
That's right. But cap chur darts have a metal collar on the needle to hold them in, I've been having to file them down and some still stay in for 3 days. I'm about to switch guns and darts.

denvermartinfarms":3vpjokxm said:
3 darts in one cow is another reason why I use draxxin for pinkeye when I'm giving with a dart.

I agree. But, I didn't have it down there when I saw the problem. I need to start keeping it with me. B&G

denvermartinfarms":2xvkk86s said:
3 darts in one cow is another reason why I use draxxin for pinkeye when I'm giving with a dart.

I darted a heifer for pinkeye last night. I used draxxin. If I would have needed to give her a second dart I think I would have had to use a sniper rifle that shoots darts.

Latest posts