Plow up and replant pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

I didn't see that soil test before - that's interesting. There could be a problem using using dolomitic lime since your Mg is already optimal. You might have to consider using a lo-Mag lime or gypsum and that's a lot more expensive. With that pH, I don't think 1 ton of lime per acre is going to raise it enough. Here, they recommend 3 tons/acre when pH is that low.

This is where wood ash would really work. You could get your pH adjustment and add a lot of the potassium you need.

As other have said, if this is only pasture, then you may just try to let cows graze it for a year or two and then retest. Put in lots of cross fencing and rotate them or else they will cherry pick the good forage and make cow paths. Without the admendments, you won't get maximum production from the land. But if you are just interested in getting a few cows out there, they will improve the soil on their own.

Interesting no one has posted any comments about the soil test here. I think the soil tests are being rigged to fit you guys with whatever the fertilizer suppliers want to get out.

The test results above don't make any sense. Anybody else got any results from around this district?

I agree on the tractor deal. Avoid the off brands... Mahindra, Zetor, Kubota, ect...

The Mid 90s John Deeres are great for really working the land. Heavy tractors that can pull. I priced a nice, clean used one a couple weeks ago. 75hp w/ loader and cab... only 2wd (got other vehicle for rainy days) for $25K.

The FORD or New Holland/ Case will do the job also. Just be clear of the economical tractors. NH/ Case has them as does John Deere. If there is a series of tractors all cheaper than the others there is a reason for that... no matter what the dealer tells you.

tytower":3oogn66y said:
Interesting no one has posted any comments about the soil test here. I think the soil tests are being rigged to fit you guys with whatever the fertilizer suppliers want to get out.

The test results above don't make any sense. Anybody else got any results from around this district?

This is why I don't get my soil tests done by the fertilizer dealers. Mine are done through NH Ag extension at Penn State. His test results look a lot like mine so they make perfect sense to me here in New Hampshire. Whether they make sense for GA, I don't know.

This farm is in Elberton, GA, the granite capitol of the world. So I was figuring that might have something to do with the already high levels of trace minerals.

No, the soil test isn't rigged. I didn't do it through the ext agent...I sampled myself and sent out of state.

I was concerned too with the mag, and therefore didn't want to use dolomitic lime. Unfortunately, that seems to be all that anyone uses and all I've been able to find. And I'd love to use wood ash if I could find it...still looking.

Latest posts