Please share your thoughts on my new bull

Help Support CattleToday:

tatts18

Reaction score
Thurloo_Park_Beretta_19122007_1.JPG

This is the new bull that we have very recently purchased. He is in serious "paddock-condition" as he has been purchased from an area that has been subject to drought for quite a while.

Please let me know what you think. All criticism will be taken as constructive!

this is the biggest I can get it, someone else please help?

very masculine, very well muscled, shoulders maybe a little coarse to use on heifers, overall a top bull from what I can make out on this rather small pic

Looks like a heck of a bull. Don't know if he's standing properly or not, but seems to be some structural deficiency in his hind legs. If it's just the way he's standing and he moves out well, I'd say that's a heck of a bull you just got. Congrats.

Edit: Some might call him shallow in the flank. No bull will be perfect. With everything he brings to the table, I could get over his minor shortcomings. Were you able to see any offspring from him?

EC

tatts18":1zucqaln said:

This is the new bull that we have very recently purchased. He is in serious "paddock-condition" as he has been purchased from an area that has been subject to drought for quite a while.

Please let me know what you think. All criticism will be taken as constructive!

Murrey Grey?

Thanks for your comments, guys.

East Caney - can you please explain to me what structural deficiencies you see in the hind legs? I'm rather new to all of this and am learning heaps all the time. Keen to learn what you can teach me!

His name is Thurloo Park Beretta and he is a Square Meater.

We have purchased him from New South Wales and he will arrive in the next couple of weeks. Thurloo Park Square Meater Stud are no longer using him in their breeding program as they are using one of his offspring who is a dead-ringer for Beretta.

I believe there are a number of Square Meater Studs in the US now. Julie from Thurloo Park has exported semen, embryos and a bull by the name of Caloona Trouble to the US. (Caloona Trouble is Beretta's sire).

Keen to hear if anyone has heard of Caloona Trouble or any of his other offspring?

I believe the bull Trouble is living on an Ohio farm; owned
by Dave Moeller. Dave has had Murray Greys for quite
some time and now is getting into Square Meaters. I think
that is the bull that he mentioned to me that came from
Julie Thompson in Australia.

I must not get out enough........... What is a Square Meater ? - a guess would be Murray Grey with an infusion of Belgian Blue but thats just an out and out guess.

Thanks in advance.

PS I dont see anything wrong with the back legs, I think that extra muscle kind of distorts the view - just my opinion.

goddy":1gbhrt7t said:
I must not get out enough........... What is a Square Meater ? - a guess would be Murray Grey with an infusion of Belgian Blue but thats just an out and out guess.

Thanks in advance.

PS I dont see anything wrong with the back legs, I think that extra muscle kind of distorts the view - just my opinion.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42626

dun":14lnuno1 said:
goddy":14lnuno1 said:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Dun.
When theres nothing else in the picture I had no idea of the size,
lot of muscle .

dun":2xtlp78g said:
goddy":2xtlp78g said:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Dun.
When theres nothing else in the picture I had no idea of the size,
lot of muscle .

Updated photos of Beretta below:

Beretta290220082.jpg

Beretta290220083.jpg

The initial photo posted drew some comment about his legs. While I'm not sure that these photos are much better, I'm keen to hear comment on his hind legs in particular. Your thoughts/comments appreciated.

tatts18":33rqljij said:
The initial photo posted drew some comment about his legs. While I'm not sure that these photos are much better, I'm keen to hear comment on his hind legs in particular.

They look kinda short, but as far as I can tell, they do reach the ground :tiphat:

He is a nice bull. He doesn't have anything wrong with his legs. They jsut look distorted in the first picture because there is a lot of muscle on them. What probably threw people off was that the breed are not near as tall as say a simmental and then you put that huge of body with muscling on them shorter legs and it is going to draw some comments especially when the picture was so small. His body looks disperportional to his body in the picture with the blue tub but thats just the breed. Hope he works out for you.

Tatts18,

I had completely overlooked your previous post asking what I was seeing in the bulls back legs. The bull still appears, to me, to be slightly sickle-hocked. I certainly don't want them post-legged, but his legs seem to angle back under him just a bit more than is "ideal" (whatever that is).

Don't mistake my concerns as being something so significant that I would not use a bull like that. I don't think he'll have problems that will make him go lame...and I think he brings a lot of values and positive attributes to the table.

I congratulate you again on what appears to be a top quality bull.

EC

Latest posts