Please share your chili recipes

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
My daughter and I make chili purt near every weekend. We almost always make it the same with slight variations I'm just looking for some new ideas. We always make it pretty mild and I spice mine up with some hot sauce. We throw it in our big crock pot usually in the morning on low and its ready to eat for lunch with plenty of leftovers.

Our go-to recipe
-2 lbs browned ground beef seasoned to taste with salt, garlic powder and pepper.
-28 oz chopped maters seasoned with oregano and basil
-28 oz Bushes mild chili beans
-16 oz sweet corn
Today I used 1 lb ground venison and 1 lb ground pork sausage.
My daughter likes to use Bushes homestyle baked beans which is pretty good but a tad too sweet for my taste.
We might have to start making 2 smaller batches that might be fun.

Anyways I'd like to hear some of your chili recipes, thanks.

Or any day for that matter. I just wish my daughter was a little more tolerant of spicy foods. She is getting a little better though sometimes I'll sneak a pepper or two in and tell her after she has taken a few bites and she's ok with it.

Sounds just like what we make except no corn. Anothing this is i use ranch beans. We can only get them at walmart here though. I can eat chili any day of the year. Even when its 110 degrees

My go to is a simple Texas Red.

When I want something different, I like a pork or beef chili verde or a pork or beef chili Colorado

chile-verde-in-a-pot.jpg

42149.jpg

I don't know if frito chili pie is common all over the country but it is here.
Put Fritos in the bottom of the bowl, then chilli then dill pickle slices and cheese. Some people also put slaw in it too but I don't like slaw.

My chili really doesn't have a recipe, pound and a half of hamburger, chili beans, tomatoes, chili powder, light on the hot peppers, chopped onion. But I make a big batch, eat it for a couple of days and then vacuum pack the rest and freeze the rest, that becomes my starter for the next batch which I might twist a little.

jedstivers":3c1zfzam said:
Put Fritos in the bottom of the bowl, then chilli then dill pickle slices and cheese. Some people also put slaw in it too but I don't like slaw.

We have that also, love it ....... Ah without the pickles. :lol:

I prefer mine without beans also, and don't think I want corn in it either. As I said on another discussion, when you start putting too many vegetables in it it's not chili anymore, it's soup. The only vegetables I want in mine are tomatoes, peppers, and onions.

My mother-in-law used to cut up a steak and add it to the ground meat. I highly recommend that.

I also like to eat mine with Fritos, and I'm okay with cheese, but pickles? That's just wrong.

Alan":1sh72ipt said:
jedstivers":1sh72ipt said:

We have that also, love it ....... Ah without the pickles. :lol:
The pickles are what make it. I really don't like chilli but I can eat it with that stuff.

I like some " chow-chow" or spicy pickle relish on mine. Never seen chili w corn in it...
I've seen people pour chili right into a small bag of corn chips. No clean up. Just toss the bag when your done.

That first recipe doesn't have enough "chili" in it to suit me. It doesn't have to be so hot it blows up your insides, but it has to have chili flavor. The best peppers for that I have found so far, guajillo chiles. They aren't hot but have a ton of chili flavor. I bought a big bag of them, dried, and have been grinding them up fresh as needed. A tablespoon or two of ground guajillo chiles, plus some ancho chili powder, a couple, three chipotles out of the can and some cumin are what gives it the best "chili" flavor, at least for me. Adding the corn makes it more of a chili stew or soup. I do like beans and tomatoes in a pot of chili even though that isn't "real chili". I grew up eating chili with kidney beans, but I like pintos better.

Thanks for some good idea's! I prefer mine nice and spicy but my daughter not so much. I had to work today so I stopped on the way home and got some fritos and pickles and I'll be trying that out. I got dill pickle spears.

I want someone to tell me what the heck "chlili beans" are.
Have you ever grown any or picked any or shelled any?

Chilli beans can be made from most any kind of beans. They get the chilli name becaus they have been prepared in a spicy sauce. Like chili

HDRider":1ngvd34a said:
My go to is a simple Texas Red.

When I want something different, I like a pork or beef chili verde or a pork or beef chili Colorado

chile-verde-in-a-pot.jpg

42149.jpg

That, looks good!! Closer to what I would call a beef stew or maybe carne guisada, tho to many times I see carne guisada come out thin and with taters in it.

If I had to choose a mix :frowns: it would be Wick Fowlers, but double it by adding equal parts comino, chili powder, black pepper, salt, and cilantro and the masa for a thickener. You can add an equal amt of ground red pepper if you want, but that is where the real fire comes from so I usually do not. About 3lbs of coarse lean ground beef (or same amt of cubed beef, lean cubed pork, or cubed venison--or any ratio of them) . Brown the meat--right before it gets done, cut up 2-3 medium-large onions in big chunks--not slices and throw them in with the meat for the last few minutes of browning, along with 2-3 cut up peppers of your choice--remove the seeds and membranes for a less hot version. (I usually do all this in the same big pot I'm going to make the chili in) Shouldn't be much excess grease when you get done, but if there is, pour most of it off. . Add 4 cups of water. add all the seasoning from the mix pack plus the extra from your cabinet. Bring it to a slow boil, then down to a simmer for abut 1 1/2 hrs. Add either 4 fresh chunked tomatoes or 2 big cans of chunked tomatoes and let it come back to a good simmer for another 1/2 hr. Mix up the masa flour into a paste, and slowly add it to the mix--it will thicken the chili to the right consistency--I don't like watery chili. If you don't have masa flour, you can use corn starch--a tablespoon to a regular coffee cup of water for every quart of chili you have in the pot. Stir it in slowly, and let it come back to a simmer.

No sacrilegious beans in my chili--if gotta have em--they go in another pot--on the side like God intended.

from scratch:
3 lbs meat-coarse ground beef or cubed chuck is really what I usually use.
2-3 onions-chunked
4 fresh tomatoes chunked or 2 big cans chunked tomatoes (please don't use or add dang tomatoe juice to this)
1 full tablespoon of salt--might not be enough--you will have to taste it.
1 full tablespoon of black pepper.
Red Pepper--(cayenne--this is the real heat in a chili mix--I use about a teaspoon or 1/2 at the most since my wife doesn't like fire.
2-3-4 full tablespoons of good chili powder. (depends on the size of the pot you're using)
Comino--I use 1/2 as much comino as I do chili powder.
1 tablespoon of ground cilantro or chopped dried cilantro
1 clove of garlic or 1 tablespoon of garlic powder. (I don't much like garlic)
2-3 peppers seed or no seed (jalapeno, --whatever your palate wants or can stand), but I like dried ancho/Poblano and Anaheim finely chopped too--mixing them is a good thing, and if you have plenty, they can take the place of 1/2 the chili powder.

Latest posts