Please Help

Help Support CattleToday:

abritton77

Reaction score
About 2 months ago I bought 4 Brangus pairs from a local rancher. These are the first cows that I have been around since I was a kid and I believe that they need to be wormed. All of them have scours at at times. They all have crap on their tails but at times their crap looks normal. #3 of the cows are kinda skinny and 1 of the calves is potbellied. I bought some injectible Ivomec to worm them but after reading the instructions it says that if the cows have grubs it could cause some serious problems if you worm in the winter.
These things are already about to break me and the last thing I need is to kill them or have them waste away from worms. What do I need to do?

Get a pour on wormer that doesn;t have a grubicide in it and pour them all.

I would second Dun's suggestion about the pour on except I would go one further. How about calling a local large animal vet and have him come over and let him bring the pour on and apply it and at the same time give them whatever shots he suggests for your area. They may or may not have been vaccinated by the previous owner. I would suggest just assume they have not had anything. This will give the vet a chance to meet you and your herd and look all 8 animals over. Yes it will cost some money but if you find a good vet it will save you a lot of money in the long run. Ask some one who had cattle and whose opinion you respect to suggest a local vet if there are several to choose from. Pour on is expensive and needs to be applied at the proper dosage. Let the vet bring it and apply it.

Good luck.

Jim

some places don't have the warble flies anymore, like here. i would ask the vet if you have them there & if you can use the ivomec at this time

I am in SE OK and was wondering if grubs were a problem around here. Ive never heard of them before and only found out by reading the label on Ivomec today. I was getting ready to give them a shot but read the back of the label. I am planning on calling the vet on Monday. I dont really have the facilities for the vet to come out, but I can haul them to him.

If you're in southeast OK, then maybe you have the same critters I have here in southwest Arkansas. I haven't had anything in the past few years that pour on won't kill. But with the record wet we've had this year, who knows what has come out of it's prehistoric slumber to haunt us!

ever go to a sale barn in late winter? if there in your area you are bound to see bumps an some cattle's backs, if you sqeeze them hard a big grub comes out which turns into a warble fly. you could ask some neighbor

jerry27150":1yreg2py said:
ever go to a sale barn in late winter? if there in your area you are bound to see bumps an some cattle's backs, if you sqeeze them hard a big grub comes out which turns into a warble fly. you could ask some neighbor

omg are you serious?

ew - ew - ew - ew - ew - ew - ew

YUK YUK YUK

I am so bleeding glad we dont have those here ... cos that really really freaks me out

gah!

Keren":3ble4x0x said:
jerry27150":3ble4x0x said:

omg are you serious?

YUK YUK YUK

I am so bleeding glad we dont have those here ... cos that really really freaks me out

gah!
A better way (less cahnce of rupturing the grub inside the animal) is to put a large coke type bottle over the grub open end down. Smack the bottom of the bottle hard a coiuple of times and it will pop out and into the bottle.
An even better method is shortly after the heal fly season, pour them with a insectide that has a grubacide in it.

AudieWyoming":3q8yoe70 said:
dun you are showing your age, I remember the coke bottle RX from the 60s :)
And it's still the best solution once you have grubs. Bad part is that you can;t find those heavy bottles anymore. The good part is that I don;t need it because we pour for grubs in the fall.

For the cost of treatment you'd think warbles would be almost obsolete-I haven't seen a grub lump since I was a kid

Northern Rancher":yducs09y said:
For the cost of treatment you'd think warbles would be almost obsolete-I haven't seen a grub lump since I was a kid
That's the point. Some of the neighbors don;t bother, we do ours and that takes care of the problem at least for us.

I called the vet and he said not to worry about grubs. I also talked to a guy I work with who has cattle and he said that he has never heard of grubs around here.

abritton77":3g0k4697 said:
About 2 months ago I bought 4 Brangus pairs from a local rancher. These are the first cows that I have been around since I was a kid and I believe that they need to be wormed. All of them have scours at at times. They all have crap on their tails but at times their crap looks normal. #3 of the cows are kinda skinny and 1 of the calves is potbellied. I bought some injectible Ivomec to worm them but after reading the instructions it says that if the cows have grubs it could cause some serious problems if you worm in the winter.
These things are already about to break me and the last thing I need is to kill them or have them waste away from worms. What do I need to do?

Can you post some pictures? I think that makes it much more likely you can get a good evaluation here.

Keren":31kcxcv2 said:
jerry27150":31kcxcv2 said:

omg are you serious?

YUK YUK YUK

gah!

Right................geez. Where does that come from so I know to stay away from it.....:)

I remember seeing them in rabbits when I was a kid and never heard of them in any thing else around here until the last few years. It seems our squirrel population has them now.

upfrombottom":1hwazpa3 said:
I remember seeing them in rabbits when I was a kid and never heard of them in any thing else around here until the last few years. It seems our squirrel population has them now.
I think they are breed specific. The ox warble (cattle grub) is the larvae of the heel fly but I'm pretty sure that other species probably have their own version of them.
When the cows/calves start racing aorund the pasture with their tail in the air and seem to be going uts, it's prequently from them being persude by heel flys.
Heel flys are also called gadflys in some areas.