Please Help

Help Support CattleToday:

Oropi_Homefarm

Reaction score
Hey some of our young cattle (Fresien x Hereford Whitehead Steers) have got a small amount of Ringworm on their faces and necks. This can be a small problem and is readily solved by the application of an anti-fungal cream or solution. However one of the young steers has what appears to be an extraordinary amount of small sores/scabs. We initially thought it may have been a reaction to the pour-on drench (Iverpour) as it was mainly along the beasts spine. It has now moved onto the neck and rump of the young steer, however has not been seen on any of the other cattle on our property. Is this just a severe case of ringworm or is it more likely to be another ailment. Any feedback is muchly appreciated :)
Lorra, Clyde, Siobhan, Ciaran, Caitlin and Liam

Hard to tell by description, you could have a parasite. Take a scraping to your vet for a look see.
Athlete's foot meds work well on ringworm. DMC

We buy iodine and pour it in a spray bottle. Mist it all over the bare spots and it clears up rather quickly. Medicated shampoos also work great on our show cattle. I've even heard that Colgate toothpaste works for ringworm but, we have not tried it.

ok thats great thank you guys, but what i really wanted to know was what the unidentified ailment could be. the steer has 100+ small (thumbnail size) greyish scabs on its back, neck and rump.

I would image this calf just has a very bad case of ringworm. It does happen, some are more affected than others, like with humans some people get colds all the time others dont. I have seen cattle with their entire heads bald and covered in ringworm. BUT, I would be more confident in this diagnosis if you could post a picture.

You probably know this, but here's a list of ringworm treatment options: (in no particular order)

1. Leave it alone it will clear up on its own
2. Colgate toothpaste (yes, it does work! actually any toothpaste) put it on thick it will smother it
3. Oil (such as Flint's oil, but any will do) put on thick (again, smothering)
4. Stockholme tar (again, smothering, are you getting the idea that you have to smother the fungus??? :lol: )
5. Iodine, will act as a fungicide to kill it
6. Anti-fungal medicines for humans (have used athlete's foot and vaginal cream, both work well)
7. Medicated shampoos (I have found are the least effective)

Latest posts