plastic fence posts

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody had price plastic fence posts lately? I called 2 places over in my part of KY and both have stopped carrying them. One place said they are up to about $18 per 5" post by the time they added freight. I think she said they come from Canada. They use to cost about $7 - $8. Would like to get some but not at that price. It seems like the pressure treated around my part aren't hardly treated at all. Thanks.

What kind of livestock are you trying to keep in with a plastic fence?

I don't think plastic would be a good idea with cattle. They could easily just walk right through the fence. Nothing like barbed wire.

If you're planning on horses, then plastic would probably work. Assuming the horses are sane and calm.

Heavy duty corner braces, good depth in soil. Barb Wire for fencing with T-posts every 10 feet is good choice for cattle. Probably minimum of 4' high for "regular cattle", five foot high for Longhorns (so you can really sleep at night.)... lol.

I have used the plastic ones in the past to subdivide pastures. While they are easy, they do not last vey long. To subdivide now, I buy the round rods with the flange on the bottom. I am paying $1.50 new, and will pay $1 at auctions when they are in good shape.

I would not use them as my main fences.

Running Arrow Bill":ac55nxdh said:
What kind of livestock are you trying to keep in with a plastic fence?

I don't think plastic would be a good idea with cattle. They could easily just walk right through the fence. Nothing like barbed wire.

If you're planning on horses, then plastic would probably work. Assuming the horses are sane and calm.

Heavy duty corner braces, good depth in soil. Barb Wire for fencing with T-posts every 10 feet is good choice for cattle. Probably minimum of 4' high for "regular cattle", five foot high for Longhorns (so you can really sleep at night.)... lol.

There are posts that are made of plastic/synthetics/old tires or something like that that are stronger then wood and don;t rot. I don;t recall off hand the name but they are tough post that you can put staples in just like wood but they're naturally insulated so you can use them with electric.

dun

I'm talking about 5"X7' plastic post that have a point on the end. You drive'em just like regular post and last forever. Also are the pressure treated post you get now junk or is it my imagination? Thanks.

Running Arrow Bill":p0k9dmv5 said:

Bill, quite a few people up here use the plastic fence posts for interior electric fences - they are sturdy and they eliminate the need for insulators. They work quite well, too. I recently had the opportunity to see one such guy's set-up and he had divided his pivot into 5 smaller sections of of about 40 acres each and he had the plastic fence posts in his electric fences. The really interesting part (for me, anyway) was that he had 'gates' in each fence so the pivot could pass through but the cattle didn't. I'd never seen anything like that before. Well, there you have my .02! :lol: :lol: :lol:

he had 'gates' in each fence so the pivot could pass through but the cattle didn't.

Spring loaded gates?

kenojoe":14ul15r6 said:
I'm talking about 5"X7' plastic post that have a point on the end. You drive'em just like regular post and last forever. Also are the pressure treated post you get now junk or is it my imagination? Thanks.

krap with a capital "K".

Beefy":1p3v1wwi said:
kenojoe":1p3v1wwi said:

krap with a capital "K".

That's how you spell crap? I've had it wrong all these years... ;-)

I have a tack room full of those plastic posts. They come in handy when I need to whack something on the rear end. Calves, donkeys, kids, husband, neighbors...

Lammie":17vewnzi said:
I have a tack room full of those plastic posts. They come in handy when I need to whack something on the rear end. Calves, donkeys, kids, husband, neighbors...

Good thing you don't keep a shotgun around. Or do you? :D

When I read the first post on plastic posts, I thought it was a joke. I have seen vinyl fencing for yard decoration, but never thought anyone would consider something like that for field fencing. At 109 degrees here Tuesday, would that stuff melt?

backhoeboogie":217pc5ik said:
Lammie":217pc5ik said:

When I read the first post on plastic posts, I thought it was a joke. I have seen vinyl fencing for yard decoration, but never thought anyone would consider something like that for field fencing. At 109 degrees here Tuesday, would that stuff melt?

This isn;t the same stuff! I haven't been able to find them lately but they are as strong or stronger then wood posts. Seems that they were called Forever posts.

dun

No, mine are skinny and yellow with little black plastic things on them. Great for whacking calves.

backhoeboogie":1zju995f said:
Lammie":1zju995f said:

Several.

Latest posts