Planting rye?

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch

Reaction score
I am going to put in some rye grass soon and would like some suggestions on how yall would plant it. I have been told disc the ground first then broadcast seed and have been told to spread the seed first then disc. What do you say?

Assuming you don't have much grass left, I'd scratch it with a disc, broadcast the seed, then drag over it with a section harrow, chain drag, tires or whatever you use for dragging. I'd wait until I started getting some soil moisture, though.

Planted rye in "dust" a week ago in one field to keep eroison down for the time being and you know it's sprouting, I hope we get enough rain to keep it going.

Rye is very tolerant of most any planting practice at least thats how it appears to me, if you get soil to seed contact and some rain it grows.

I have been considering just overseeding rye in some pastures this year. It is so dry that running a disc may contribute to more erosion. The ground is pretty much barren is areas that have not been irrigated.

As herefordcross said, its very tolerant. I just broadcast it. You might want to wait until the middle of sept or so to plant. Cooler temps and moisture will help alot in establishment. Think about adding some clover to the mix. If you're on sandy soil, crimson red will work fine.

Herefordcross":2nrz21th said:
Rye is very tolerant of most any planting practice at least thats how it appears to me, if you get soil to seed contact and some rain it grows.
I have planted rye both by broadcasting & no-till drill. If the rain is scarce, the drill will have success while the broadcasting will not. Last fall was very dry here - very little rain until late late fall (Thanksgiving time). I drilled the rye, but could see where the drill did not do a good job (like the upside of hillsides & those old stump holes - places where the seed was just laid on the ground). There were nearly no plants in those areas, yet where it was deposited into a cut in the ground it germinated & went on to make some very late fall grazing & some spring grazing. Had I broadcast it, I believe it would have resulted in virtually no crop whatsoever. Last fall was unusually dry starting the last week in Aug thru Sept, an early Oct rain got the bulk of the rye germinated, but no more rain fell until mid to late Nov. Hope we don't have to go thru that again.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2tviia21 said:
I am going to put in some rye grass soon and would like some suggestions on how yall would plant it. I have been told disc the ground first then broadcast seed and have been told to spread the seed first then disc. What do you say?
I just had rye, oats and turnips flown on 16 acres of standing corn on thursday. Received an inch of rain last night, so I would think conditions are about as good as I could ask for. I will keep you posted on how the stand looks.
Jeff

I just had rye, oats and turnips flown on 16 acres of standing corn on thursday. Received an inch of rain last night, so I would think conditions are about as good as I could ask for. I will keep you posted on how the stand looks.
Jeff[/quote]
I walked out into the corn yesterday and the oats are about 3-4 inches tall, turnips are up too, didn't see much rye, it may come later. Looks like a great stand the ground is just about solid green. Hope to shell the corn in a week to 10 days and looks like we will be able to have the cows on it by Oct.1.

Jeff

I have just finished drilling today. In one pasture I put in rye and fescue. The other is wheat and fescue. All done with a no-till drill. If it don't rain this has been a waste. This is the first time that I have tried this, but this has been a terrible year on the pastures. Less hay to start with, feeding earlier, and no hay to be bought.

r and s peckman":37seu97o said:
I have just finished drilling today. In one pasture I put in rye and fescue. The other is wheat and fescue. All done with a no-till drill. If it don't rain this has been a waste. This is the first time that I have tried this, but this has been a terrible year on the pastures. Less hay to start with, feeding earlier, and no hay to be bought.

At the risk of being considered a welfare farmer, have you checked with the dept ag to see what programs are available in your area with your county being listed as one that has assistance dollars available?

dun

Ran a disc over the pasture and started rotary spreading today with a drag behind to help cover the seed. Forecast from the weather liars is rain this coming Sat.-Mon. Hope so,well will see.

10ft disc,10ft easyflo seeder,12ft cultipacker all hooked together in one pass. Poor mans notill drill. Works good most of the time.

Dun

I did rent the drill from the office. From the sounds of the assistance there will be little to go around and there will be some that need it more than us. Yea it been a rough year,but we have been through them before and are still here, enjoying almost every minute. Have you or do you know anything about the Max Q. The new dairy up here is using it hard and sounds like they are getting along with it very well.

r and s peckman":2mnraizv said:
Dun

I did rent the drill from the office. From the sounds of the assistance there will be little to go around and there will be some that need it more than us. Yea it been a rough year,but we have been through them before and are still here, enjoying almost every minute. Have you or do you know anything about the Max Q. The new dairy up here is using it hard and sounds like they are getting along with it very well.

There were a couple of people that tried it but most balked at the cost of all of the spraying and then the cost of the seed. It's been infected with the old KY31 because of the poor prep. Unless it's been tested I don;t know how they can be sure the old stuff came back but that's what I was told a couple of years ago, or maybe last year, don;t recall which and don;t even recall who it was that planted the stuff now. The cost was what put it out of my mind so I lost interest.
The dairys around here just use the old KY31 and are happy with the results. Conventional wisdom claims that you can;t dairy on the stuff, but the places that are or were doing it have/had as good of a rolling herd average as the ones that were feeding or grazing other grass. To me it's just another silver bullet, but that's a personal opinion

dun

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":27otj97r said:
Sunday evening and NO rain yet! Darn weather liars.

I have my planting done too. A little rain and I'd be in tall cotton. I hope everyone gets some.

ERNIBIGB":128um4g0 said:
10ft disc,10ft easyflo seeder,12ft cultipacker all hooked together in one pass. Poor mans notill drill. Works good most of the time.

Where do you get your rye from in West TN?? We are talking rye and not rye grass here aren't we? Just curious, cause I too live in N West TN. Last I bought was $13.50 / 50 lb. I'm thinking of going to wheat this yr.

TSR":n8uymb4y said:
ERNIBIGB":n8uymb4y said:

Where do you get your rye from in West TN?? We are talking rye and not rye grass here aren't we? Just curious, cause I too live in N West TN. Last I bought was $13.50 / 50 lb. I'm thinking of going to wheat this yr.
When I started this topic I was talking about rye grass.

Latest posts