Planting Forage Turnips

Help Support CattleToday:

Greenie

Reaction score
My father (broadcast) plants turnips for fall forage each year. This year he wants to use his no-till drill and asked me to track down an answer for him.

Question is: What is good to mix with the turnip seed to slow down the seed flow?

Thx

Sandblasting sand. It is dry and grains are uniform size. Playsand does not work as well as its grain size varies.

Is there any other seed that you could mix with the turnips that might extend grazing? Just asking because I have no idea.

Jeff

I would think you could mix with rye, ryegrass, oats, clovers or what ever you like.

See thread called "seeding rape"

I plant rye and rape together but my drill has two different boxes and I can control the seed depth of each box. I don't know if the small turnip seed would settle to the bottom if it were mixed with rye or some other larger seed. Might not pose a big problem but it could make for some patchy spots of turnips. Another problem in mixing these two in the same box would be the planting depth. Could run into problems getting the turnips too deep. Just some thoughts. Don't know answer but would like to hear what ya'll find that works.

broadcasting is probably the best way to seed trunips. Its just too easy to plant too them to deep.

Latest posts