Planting Bermuda Seed By Coastal

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting 17 acres around my house sprigged with Coastal in the next few weeks. I have plowed and disk my pastures but still have some areas either on roads or around my pond that I didn't disk. Also the strip between my fence and the county road isn't disk. These areas still have KR bluestem in them. I want to rid my place 100% of KR. I am thinking of spraying the areas that won't be sprigged with gly and using a no till drill to plant bermuda seed or giant bermuda. Will this cause any problems doing this around the coastal fields? I will keep my fences sprayed yearly between me and the neighbors. I am trying to come up with a plan to either have coastal or some sort of bermuda only on my place. Thanks for the input.

I have weak spots in my coastal field and do not want to go through resprigging right now. I have common broadcast in the coastal and they get along just fine. Only thing is that common's growth pattern is short vs coastal so you either wait till the common is long enough for your round baler to pickup, or cut the coastal every 30 days and take the loss.

Thanks for the response. The areas I would plant bermuda would be areas that get mowed and not baled. Main reason to plant bermuda is try to keep KR to a minimum and out of the coastal fields.

I sure wouldn't plant any common in it. Common is what they grow on golf courses because it doesn't grow tall which makes it very easy to maintain for the purposes of playing golf. How are you going to cut and rake that? You won't. I had some in my coastal hayfield, don't know where it came from, seed caught a ride somehow. It has the surprising ability to dominate coastal.
Edit:
I see now you say you would plant it where you would mow not bale, good in theory if the seed were unviable on the common.

My coastal has been overseeded with giant. Seems to get along fine so far. The giant grows straight up immediately. before it thinks about running so it's great for hay. Also produces viable seed.