planting bermuda pasture in west tx

Help Support CattleToday:

I paid about 10000 for the land...I know it not the ideal place to farm but I figured I'd give it a try

Price was not bad for a small place in the area, I think you are doing the right thing in trying to improve the propery, you are also correct in doing research on how to improve the land, just do not expect to much production from it, with what I am seeing of the area I would get a wild life tax exempt , with a goal of developing into a wild life habit, Good luck to you and keep asking questions, keep us informed as to what you do.

tcam318":33220vmz said:
I paid about 10000 for the land...I know it not the ideal place to farm but I figured I'd give it a try

i was just making sure you knew what you are getting into.
we can all attest to how tough it is without rainfall.
this is my place right before the 2 year drought broke
there is not a worse feeling than watching your land burn up with day after day of 100+ degree temps, no rain in the forecast and after a while you lose hope.
dickenscounty021.jpg

i wish you the best of luck.
if i can lend you some advice just ask and i'll make something up :D

we had a really good summer, so it doesn't look like this on a normal year.
this is the lastest picture i have and it is sept 23.
we have had a freeze since then so it isnt green like the picture.
cows09-23-12024.jpg

What kind of grass do you have....and are you located anywere near were my land is located

tcam318":m8atfy14 said:
What kind of grass do you have....and are you located anywere near were my land is located

most of what you see in the picture is kleingrass.
no i'm about 400 miles northeast of you.

tam318, I am going to be blunt. There is a reason the land was so cheap. It is very rough, dry and will not support much. The advice that the Extension office will be the most useful to you. If you really want to get a good pasture growing, you will need to get the soil tested to see what it needs and find a way to irrigate it.

I will let you figure up how much time energy and money you want to put into this venture but just for the record bermuda is not a native grass. If the extension agent told you that he needs to find something else to do.

Latest posts