plant/graze sudangrass?

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray

Reaction score
Can I broadcast plant sudangrass? Is there much of a difference between sudan and forage sorguhms and sudex for grazing purposes? From what research I looked up on the internet is seems as if sudan grass is finer leaved and less likely to produce as much prussic acid in grazing situations. I am in Michigan so if I plant this spring would I get two grazes before mid August so I could plant turnips in the same pasture or should I plan on being able to graze the sudangrass into the fall or does it run out about like corn? Thanks in advance for any help.

You are a little far north for me but I can tell you what little I know about it. I use a Sudan/Sorghum cross and the biggest problem I have is that it can get away from you easily if you don't graze it hard enough. If given a choice, cows will eat the Sudan before they eat pearl millet so this speaks well of the grass but it does tend to get stemmier if it gets out of hand. If it begins to do this it seems to do much better if you top it off before it spikes out. Otherwise it just doesn't seem to rebound as well.

I drill mine but see no reason you couldn't broadcast. It will take more seed and you will also need to be sure you don't plant it too deep when you harrow or drag it in. From experience, a good heavy rainfall on deep planted seed such as this will require you to go back to the store for more. Hope this is helpful.

hayray":exntis62 said:
Can I broadcast plant sudangrass? Is there much of a difference between sudan and forage sorguhms and sudex for grazing purposes? From what research I looked up on the internet is seems as if sudan grass is finer leaved and less likely to produce as much prussic acid in grazing situations. I am in Michigan so if I plant this spring would I get two grazes before mid August so I could plant turnips in the same pasture or should I plan on being able to graze the sudangrass into the fall or does it run out about like corn? Thanks in advance for any help.

I am in northeast KS. I really like grazin sudex to supplement the cool season grasses in the summer lull. I have never had a problem with prussic acid, just wait until the sudex is 24 inches tall before grazing. Jogeephus is right, in that you will want to graze it pretty hard.

I planted some when we had a horrible drought in 2003. Planted May 1, and got 4 different grazings out of it. First being around the 4th of July, and last coming in early September. It is pretty hardy stuff. I would say you should get 2 grazings out of it by Mid August, but that may get pushed back to late August based on different growing seasons. The sudangrass will also not grow as much when the weather turns cooler. It will as you said, run out like corn. I would get a couple of grazings off of it, and then plant your turnips or whatever.

You can broadcast it. I have done it a few times, I just slung it out in a fertilizer buggy then disced in it. You will need to put out more seed than if you were drilling it in. Drilling will give you better results but you can sling it out and make a crop

Latest posts