Plans finally falling into place :)

Help Support CattleToday:

TCFC

Reaction score
Well, I posted a while ago asking about large animal vet potential and whatnot... lately I have been getting more and more keen on it :) I finished first year with a 91% average, so i decided to give it a go and try to apply for vet school next year to hopefully be accepted for the 2007/2008 academic year.

This week I have been assisting a couple large animal vets, and doing a LOT of cattle work. It is really neat because I am seeing so much I have read about on this forum that I have never seen before. (And a big THANKS guys, because a lot of the stuff I hear and actually understand, and don't have to look like a total greenie because I read about similar situations on this forum.)

In only three days of following along I have:
-seen a totally normal calving, and got to palpate vaginally as the cow was calving
-seen and assisted with an upside down and backwards calving of a HUGE bull calf
-palpated and help to untwist a 720 degree uterine torsion, then delivered the calf (an unfortunately dead calf, but it was huge and had a rough go of it, momma was alright though)
-listened to the signs of: pnemonia, heart murmer, displaced abomasum (thanks Beefy!)
-pumped a cow with hardware disease
-helped ketotic cows
-done rectal palpations for heat cycles on A LOT of cows
-drained abcesses on cattle feet and hips

and other stuff that I have probably missed.
It has been so interesting, as I have never seen any of this stuff before, and am just fascinated by it.

It is really neat when you are palpating cows... and for the first few you feel around... and can feel stuff... but can't peice it all together. Then finally you have a lightbulb moment and you can actually tell what you are feeling, it is rather exciting :p

I cannot wait till tomorrow... some castrations and I am not sure what else is on the plate ;)

TCFC

keep up the good work. vet school is hard to get into, even with an immaculate record. get to know the vets at your school and maybe they can also help with your acceptance.

by the way its abomasum.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2b4uxsq6 said:
Go for it!!! (When you finish up...come to Arkansas) ;-) :cboy:

NO! NO! NO! NO! Come to Florida. The sunshine state, liquid sunshine that is. :lol:

Latest posts