PINKEYE

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
man i have been fighting pinkeye all summer long.been treating with LA300 and pen n the eye.some clear up just fine and pretty quick while others take forever and repeat treatments.a few got it n both eyes. is ther anything better to try? i did vaccinate n the spring but it sure dont seem like it helped.

piedmontese":1gxnxa3l said:
man i have been fighting pinkeye all summer long.been treating with LA300 and pen n the eye.some clear up just fine and pretty quick while others take forever and repeat treatments.a few got it n both eyes. is ther anything better to try? i did vaccinate n the spring but it sure dont seem like it helped.
================
We have also experienced some pinkeye this season;

1)If you catch it when the eyes are tearing 10% bleach in water sprayed in the eye does an excellent job.
(We take no credit for the approach...it was presented on this forum some years back)

2) Also, we think it is helpful at any stage of pinkeye. If it has progressed in the eye...when we find them.....we re-spray at 4/5 day intervals until clearing is achieved. Usually 2/3 times.

Antibiotics don't seem to help....much ...if any.

preston39":3swoatag said:
piedmontese":3swoatag said:
================
We have also experienced some pinkeye this season;

1)If you catch it when the eyes are tearing 10% bleach in water sprayed in the eye does an excellent job.
(We take no credit for the approach...it was presented on this forum some years back)

2) Also, we think it is helpful at any stage of pinkeye. If it has progressed in the eye...when we find them.....we re-spray at 4/5 day intervals until clearing is achieved. Usually 2/3 times.

Antibiotics don't seem to help....much ...if any.
thanks for the idea.i will giv it a shot.i have went through alot of LA300 this summer.do u still use pen in the eye?

A little Brahman influence and (knocking on wood here) we haven't had any this year even though the neighbors BA herd has been fighting it hard.

DavisBeefmasters":2i48lfxg said:
A little Brahman influence and (knocking on wood here) we haven't had any this year even though the neighbors BA herd has been fighting it hard.
yea i got 7 beefmasters and none have had pinkeye.i really like my beefmasters i dont know y they r not more popular.i plan 2 add some more 2 my herd.

i started a vaccination program this Spring using Moraxella Bovis Bacterin I-SITE XP from agri labs. one injection and a four week booster. one tiger strip cow is all that pinkeye showed up in and a mild case at that. i'm not familiar with the science of inherited immunities, but the calves (from vaccinated cows) seem to have been born with an immunity. least ways, so far, they've been free of pinkeye. i will vaccinate them next Spring just the same. now if they would come up with an injectable for horse flies!

Red Bull Breeder":zsigxrek said:
Started using Vita Ferm mineral 5 years ago, haven't had pinkeye since.
i have heard alot of good about vitaferm and i want to try it but there are no dealers near me.i live outside wichita,kansas.

piedmontese":2gpvbdfi said:
Red Bull Breeder":2gpvbdfi said:
Started using Vita Ferm mineral 5 years ago, haven't had pinkeye since.
i have heard alot of good about vitaferm and i want to try it but there are no dealers near me.i live outside wichita,kansas.
I switched this year too....

http://www.biozymeinc.com/

you can order it online.

piedmontese":2m2luvc7 said:
DavisBeefmasters":2m2luvc7 said:
yea i got 7 beefmasters and none have had pinkeye.i really like my beefmasters i dont know y they r not more popular.i plan 2 add some more 2 my herd.

I like hearing this... we are an under marketed breed. :D

Mineral does not prevent pinkeye or make the cow less susceptible. Pinkeye is caused by bacteria. A cow that gets it this year is less likely to get it next.

TexasBred":2mjn0nld said:
Mineral does not prevent pinkeye or make the cow less susceptible. Pinkeye is caused by bacteria. A cow that gets it this year is less likely to get it next.
Our vet said to plan on an outbreak about once every 5 years. I'm due in 4 more years!! We vaccinate every year for pinkeye regardless of an outbreak. One herd , I understand, took samples and had a special vaccine made for his herd.
Valerie

DavisBeefmasters":x3e1u2uv said:
piedmontese":x3e1u2uv said:
DavisBeefmasters":x3e1u2uv said:

I like hearing this... we are an under marketed breed. :D
How do they do in the cold climates???

Well mineral may not keep them from having pinkeye. But i ain't had a case of pinkeye since i started using Vita Ferm mineral so i think i will keep on with what i am doing.

Red Bull Breeder":2rmmpnrd said:
Well mineral may not keep them from having pinkeye. But i ain't had a case of pinkeye since i started using Vita Ferm mineral so i think i will keep on with what i am doing.
Not knocking your mineral. I've used the Vitaferm mineral too and it's great stuff and it should be doing you a good job. But not having pickeye is purely coincidence. Someone else could probably say the same thing about the mineral they are using.

One can have the vet do a culture and send it off and get vaccines made from it and it does help. I did that several years ago and it came back as a "sheep" type pinkeye. I have no idea how they got that because there weren't any sheep around.

If they are in the weepy stage, you can add iodine (the feed store around here has a one lb bag) and I either put it in the 100 gallon water tank or mix it with the minerals. Within 48 hours they will be cleared up. If they are beyond the weepy stage, we treat them with LA200.

Most minerals have 80 ppm iodine and its not enough.

Latest posts