pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have 4 yearling heifers that I recently moved to a different farm. Almost imediately one of them got pinkeye. They have all had it now. 1 has fuuly recovered. Two are recovering and the other one now has it in both eyes. I am afraid she may have lost her site. I have been using a puffer dust, but I recently read that it sometimes causes more harm due to irritation. Just wondering what other people do to treat pinkeye?

[email protected]

> pinkeye is an infection, give them a shot of LA 200, and try squirting some penicillin in their eye, without the needle of course. if you feed salt, and you should, start mixing some aureomycin crumbles in your salt, about a 2-1 ratio. getting the aureomycin in their system will help fight off other infections, such as foot rot, or make it not as bad. keep the salt/auromycin out free choice all the time will help fight off future cases

[email protected]

> I have 4 yearling heifers that I
> recently moved to a different
> farm. Almost imediately one of
> them got pinkeye. They have all
> had it now. 1 has fuuly recovered.
> Two are recovering and the other
> one now has it in both eyes. I am
> afraid she may have lost her site.
> I have been using a puffer dust,
> but I recently read that it
> sometimes causes more harm due to
> irritation. Just wondering what
> other people do to treat pinkeye?

The most effective treatment for true pinkeye I've ever seen requires injecting 1cc of tylan 200 into the tissue above the eye. Entry is made by holding out the upper eyelid and making needle entry behind eyelash line. Tylan deposit needs to end up in soft tissue outside of skull, behind thick skin, above eyelid. Needle will only be inserted about 1/4 inch. If you puncture eyeball globe itself, you blinded him, so animal needs to be very secured. Get vet to show you if you are not very sure you understand.

[email protected]

A subconjunctival injection is indeed the best treatment for pinkeye and should never be attempted without knowing exactly what you're doing. I've never used Tylan for this, long acting penicillin works great and is a lot less irritating. Also, mastitis ointment like Special Formula can be used topically in the eye, even though it has corticosteriods in it...works great as well. Ask your vet!

Good Luck V

Latest posts