Pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Anyone ever heard of pinkeye in 25 degree weather, not sure if it's a reaction to pinkeye vaccine or what??

had any blowing snow? or dust?
i use pinkeye vaccine never had a problem with it.

I have had 2 isolated cases of pinkeye this winter, first time. Both cases were cleared up with a shot of the puffer a couple days apart.

In goats unseasonal pink eye can be a sign of a clamidia problem. Don't know if it is in cattle but it crossed my mind so I thought I would pass it on.

Loaded her up with LA 200 yesterday 5cc/100. So that should take care of it, I hope. This has been the oddest winter ever. Have a healthy heifer with a lung full of fluid, another one that has a "chest cold" I have given her la 200, nuflor as bottle states and then finally I gave her Micotil (as dangerous as it is, I have 1.2 mil in life insurance, so I was going to worry about it too awful much) and it hasn't cleared her left lung up yet. the one with the right lung full of fluid I am afraid is going to end up with an abcess so I have been giving her la 200 once a week to try to get her through until warm weather and hopefully it will clear up. I know that isn't exactly what you are supposed to do but, other than a lung full of fluid you ought to see her run and jump come feeding time.

[email protected]":bg75k1w4 said:
the one with the right lung full of fluid I am afraid is going to end up with an abcess so I have been giving her la 200 once a week to try to get her through until warm weather and hopefully it will clear up. I know that isn't exactly what you are supposed to do but, other than a lung full of fluid you ought to see her run and jump come feeding time.

I'm thinking this is just enough LA 200 to ensure that whatever the bug is that's causing this will be resistant, but I could very well be wrong.

Just some FYI:
LIQUAMYCIN LA-200 is approved for:

The treatment of pneumonia and shipping fever complex associated with Pasteurella spp. and Hemophilus spp.; infectious keratoconjunctivitis (pinkeye) caused by Moraxella bovis; footrot and diphtheria caused by Fusobacterium necrophorum; bacterial enteritis (scours) caused by Escherichia coli; wooden tongue caused by Actinobacillus lignieresii; leptospirosis caused by Leptospira pomona; and wound infections and acute metritis caused by strains of staphylococci and streptococci organisms sensitive to oxytetracycline.

One dose delivers three days of sustained therapy.

LIQUAMYCIN LA-200 can also be administered by subcutaneous, intravenous, or intramuscular injection at a level of 3–5 mg of oxytetracycline per lb of body weight per day. In the treatment of severe footrot and advanced cases of other indicated diseases, a dosage level of 5 mg/lb of body weight per day is recommended. Treatment should be continued 24–48 hours following remission of disease signs; however, treatment should not exceed a total of 4 consecutive days. Consult your veterinarian if improvement is not noted within 24–48 hours of the beginning of treatment.

You might already have this info.

NCM

yeah I know what the label says but, I have tried everything on this girl.

I gave here second dose of LA 200 today. Eye appears to be watering an awful lot. No spots on here eye so I guess that either I caught it in time or it wasn't pinkeye. Just, gave the second dose as a precaution.

On a side note, I was talking with a rep from the beef cattlemen's association yesterday and he was telling me that in some parts of the country that due to the large use of LA 200 that cattle are becoming immune to it. I guess they are more like people than I thought! Thanks for the posts everyone.

Bullbuyer":aetsor9y said:
Where you at in WV ? I've heard of people running into some sick cattle at some sale barns down in Virginia - if you're in that area (as I am).

Bullbuyer,
What kind of sick?

fitz

[email protected]":3d3d7w6h said:
Loaded her up with LA 200 yesterday 5cc/100. So that should take care of it, I hope. This has been the oddest winter ever. Have a healthy heifer with a lung full of fluid, another one that has a "chest cold" I have given her la 200, nuflor as bottle states and then finally I gave her Micotil (as dangerous as it is, I have 1.2 mil in life insurance, so I was going to worry about it too awful much) and it hasn't cleared her left lung up yet. the one with the right lung full of fluid I am afraid is going to end up with an abcess so I have been giving her la 200 once a week to try to get her through until warm weather and hopefully it will clear up. I know that isn't exactly what you are supposed to do but, other than a lung full of fluid you ought to see her run and jump come feeding time.

I wouldn't mix micotil and nuflor, just my opinion if anyone has done so with success I would like to know. after using micotil and nuflor and then going to la 200 I kind of doubt this would work.
I would not stop treating her just don't overdo it with the meds.
Sometimes they can just be a lunger and not much you can do about it.

I know my post is confusing. I started off with LA 200 on her, three doses three days apart. No Respone Went to Nuflor two doses 48 hours apart. No Response The used Micotil No Response, lung is still full of fluid.

ok well, try some baytril.
i never use micotil or la2oo for respiratory
only for foot or eye problems.

Latest posts