PINKEYE!! ARRGGGHHHH!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I have IGR in the mineral tub, treat for flies with Permecthin and Ivermec, and there are no other cattle in the area (I can count the flies on each animal with one hand). I vaccinate annually. The cases keep coming.

angus9259":25l8wpyc said:
I have IGR in the mineral tub, treat for flies with Permecthin and Ivermec, and there are no other cattle in the area (I can count the flies on each animal with one hand). I vaccinate annually. The cases keep coming.
We had a bunch last year, vet's in this area cultured some and it was a strain that is not in most pinkeye vaccines. We used a vaccine made from those strains this year. Keepiong our fingers crossed.

You can have your pinkeye tested and have a vaccine made specifically for what you are dealing with. I would recommend putting out sulfur blocks too - helps fight the infection. Pinkeye stinks...we had a bad year last year. Sounds like you are doing the best you can.

This might sound odd, but the old farmers around here keep a bag of table salt with them and throw it in the eyes of the cows that are just starting to look weepy. Some how the salt does something to help prevent the pink eye from progressing, and is handy. We tried it last summer, and whether it was that, the mineral feeder with the mop head, or just good luck, but we had none. Plus we poured them in the spring with decomax fly & wormer. And I sprayed them regularly when I was out there. I know I over do it, but I hate pinkeye and do anything and everything.

Im new and havn't had any get pinkeye yet, but I do have a couple questions. What do I give them when they get it and do they need to be separated from the others.
I do have some calves that seem to have "sleep crusties" around there eyes. Do you know what this might be and what to do about it?

newcattleman":earkl6o1 said:
Im new and havn't had any get pinkeye yet, but I do have a couple questions. What do I give them when they get it and do they need to be separated from the others.
I do have some calves that seem to have "sleep crusties" around there eyes. Do you know what this might be and what to do about it?

If you go to the health and nutrition forum and search "pinkeye" you'll find more than you ever new possible to know about pinkeye.

An appropriate dose of a long-acting oxytetracycline(LA-200, Noromycin 300, etc.) should clear pinkeye infection in MOST animals - but we are seeing some Moraxella isolates that are not susceptible to OTC.

Latest posts