Pink eye

Help Support CattleToday:

Winter pinkeye is not unusual. It does not require flys to transmit pinkeye. Pinkeye is caused by a bacteria of the genus Moraxella. If you swab the eyes of cattle and culture the swab, 90 % of the cattle already have the Moraxella bacteria in their eye. It simply takes a scratch or other irritation to set off a case of pinkeye. Let me be clear - I am not saying flies are not vectors of bacteria and viruses, but pinkeye occurs without flies. About 6 years ago, the tricounty area where reside had a major outbreak of winter pinkeye.

Your vet diagnosed it as pinkeye and stitched the eye shut. Perhaps he administered an antibiotic. You should be fine.

Regarding the stitches- they should dissolve. It sometimes takes a little over 2 weeks.

This is cancer eye, early stage. Vet removed the 3rd eyelid, cancer had not metastasized to the lymph nodes, she's still doing great.

I've only had one case of pinkeye where the vet sewed the eye shut & it does take a while for the stitches to dissolve. The majority of "pinkeye" that I have treated were actually abrasions, primarily in the fall/winter when we're feeding bales & put out one that's stemmy. BTW I vaccinate with an autogenous bacterin for both moxarella bovis & moxarella bovoculi.

Flies are two months early and terrible this year in Texas. We already have June bugs. Already been through the horn flies now on heel.
We have had an usually mild temperatures along with record rain perfect breeding ground.

Caustic Burno said:
Flies are two months early and terrible this year in Texas. We already have June bugs. Already been through the horn flies now on heel.
We have had an usually mild temperatures along with record rain perfect breeding ground.

I just noticed the first flies on mine Monday and not very many at that. Will be spraying them shortly.

Bfields30 said:
I'm thinking I'm going to just keep her let her calf then let her raise it few months take her to the barn
Wouldn't be to quick to worry yet or sell ,she may do fine..just something to keep a check on,you'll know...

TCRanch said:
This is cancer eye, early stage. Vet removed the 3rd eyelid, cancer had not metastasized to the lymph nodes, she's still doing great.

I've only had one case of pinkeye where the vet sewed the eye shut & it does take a while for the stitches to dissolve. The majority of "pinkeye" that I have treated were actually abrasions, primarily in the fall/winter when we're feeding bales & put out one that's stemmy. BTW I vaccinate with an autogenous bacterin for both moxarella bovis & moxarella bovoculi.
had one simular on a older Braford cow ,but a little larger..my ex removed that one..

Bright Raven said:
Winter pinkeye is not unusual. It does not require flys to transmit pinkeye. Pinkeye is caused by a bacteria of the genus Moraxella. If you swab the eyes of cattle and culture the swab, 90 % of the cattle already have the Moraxella bacteria in their eye. It simply takes a scratch or other irritation to set off a case of pinkeye. Let me be clear - I am not saying flies are not vectors of bacteria and viruses, but pinkeye occurs without flies. About 6 years ago, the tricounty area where reside had a major outbreak of winter pinkeye.

Your vet diagnosed it as pinkeye and stitched the eye shut. Perhaps he administered an antibiotic. You should be fine.

Regarding the stitches- they should dissolve. It sometimes takes a little over 2 weeks.
Yeah I checked her yesterday and there were out she looks to be doing fine but I'm not sure how her eye is exactly I'll give it few days she like puppy dog gentle so I'm goin to check her again today to see how it is.

Latest posts