Pink eye

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Went on vacation over spring break was totally fine before i left Hereford older due to calf in may-June had pink eye took her to the vet they sutured her eye shut it's been two weeks Monday but they haven't fell out should I take her back to vet and get them take them out or should I just take her to sale. She's so close to calf I wanted to let her calf then resell. My buddy told me worse case scenario she has one eye and she can raise a calf for few more yrs.

Caustic Burno said:
You got a fly problem.
I have had several one cows through the years.

I just had bought her early this month. None of my others have it or look there getting it.

Bfields30 said:
Caustic Burno said:
You got a fly problem.
I have had several one cows through the years.

I just had bought her early this month. None of my others have it or look there getting it.

Wherever she came from had a fly management problem and if you don't have a fly control program. Get ready.
Pink eye is easy to spot in a Hereford.
I saw hundreds of black cows in 2012 shipped down here from Missouri to sale with it.

Y'all got fly problems this early?? It may not have been started by flies..could have been started by a injury from a stem of hay or grass..being a Hereford I keep a close watch on her, that it don't become cancerous..how old is she?

ALACOWMAN said:
Y'all got fly problems this early?? It may not have been started by flies..could have been started by a injury from a stem of hay or grass..being a Hereford I keep a close watch on her, that it don't become cancerous..

Could be cancer as well the Vet should have recognized that.
I did my second fly treatment for the year yesterday. Neighbors cows are covered up and the flies keep crossing the fence.
AC I have already ivomeced and ultra saber cows this year.

Only a few flies here right now..with all the warm wet we had I thought we'd be bombarded and still may but its drier then a chip here now. And No problems............yet.......those Herefords will keep you on Guard

ALACOWMAN said:
Only a few flies here right now..with all the warm wet we had I thought we'd be bombarded and still may but its drier then a chip here now. And No problems............yet.......those Herefords will keep you on Guard

You would think that top strand being electric would keep those flies out.

Caustic Burno said:
ALACOWMAN said:
Y'all got fly problems this early?? It may not have been started by flies..could have been started by a injury from a stem of hay or grass..being a Hereford I keep a close watch on her, that it don't become cancerous..

Could be cancer as well the Vet should have recognized that.
I did my second fly treatment for the year yesterday. Neighbors cows are covered up and the flies keep crossing the fence.
AC I have already ivomeced and ultra saber cows this year.
She's older around 7-8 but other then that she's in good body condition and she's bred to a Brahman bull so I was hoping to keep till she calves and keep her until 6 months then sell her and her calf

Are you sure it's pinkeye?
At 7 or 8 is when cancer eye shows up!
Get a picture.

If it's cancer eye all you will salvage is the calf.
She might bring .10 a pound if your real lucky .15.

[image][/image]
Caustic Burno said:
Get a picture.

how do I post a picture on here

Caustic Burno said:
Get a picture.

The vet told me it was pink eye though

Bfields30 said:
Caustic Burno said:
Get a picture.

The vet told me it was pink eye though
CB is right about the age cancer eye shows up,,and it likely is pinkeye.but keep her checked..would be good to see her pigment and eyeset..those old bug eyed Herefords were the worst...

Caustic Burno said:
Bfields30 said:
I'm thinking I'm going to just keep her let her calf then let her raise it few months take her to the barn

If she has a true. F-1 heifer that's a keeper .
can I don't have any flies out yet but besides working my cows what else can I do for flies I have mineral out with fly control last yr I sprayed them with permthrin as needed

I had one develop a cancer eye that had a 2 month old calf. Vet said she wouldn't bring much if anything so just let her raise the calf up and put her down. A couple months later she got bred back. I weaned the calf and the cancer was not much worse. Decided to let it go.
Calved again and raised that one to 5 months before it started looking like she was starting to suffer and the eye smelled.

PETA probably would have had a fit but she was treated well and it never seemed to bother her until the last couple of weeks.

Bfields30 said:
Caustic Burno said:
Bfields30 said:
I'm thinking I'm going to just keep her let her calf then let her raise it few months take her to the barn

If she has a true. F-1 heifer that's a keeper .
can I don't have any flies out yet but besides working my cows what else can I do for flies I have mineral out with fly control last yr I sprayed them with as needed
Permthrin is virtually worthless first rain it's gone.
Flies cost you pounds and disease cheapest thing you can do is Ultra Sabre or Cylence as well as IGR for long time Control.

Caustic Burno said:
ALACOWMAN said:

You would think that top strand being electric would keep those flies out.

Got to have the fence wires close together for flies.