Pink Brandywine Heirloom

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd never grown heirloom tomato's before that I can remember, this year when I picked some better boys at walmart someone had swapped out a couple in the pack with Black Prince heirlooms that I didn't see.
Picked a couple that looked ready tonight.
IMG_0391.JPG

I'm not impressed, will make sure I have the ones I want in a pack next year.

I'd never grown heirloom tomato's before that I can remember, this year when I picked some better boys at walmart someone had swapped out a couple in the pack with Black Prince heirlooms that I didn't see.
View attachment 33030

Doesn't look very meaty. Looks as though it would be great for making tomato juice though if you wanted that.

View attachment 33030

Funny... the people back in the day would stick their noses in the air if they experienced the common tomatoes we eat today. We are used to what we eat and think it's the best and they would have thought we were crazy.

My dad made bread that people today would probably not like, but back in the day he was well regarded by people in the industry as the guy that knew what he was doing. Today we eat gluten free seven grain wheat bread and think it's high class quality.

And who's to say which is "better"? We like what we like and they liked what they grew up with.

Funny... the people back in the day would stick their noses in the air if they experienced the common tomatoes we eat today. We are used to what we eat and think it's the best and they would have thought we were crazy.

My dad made bread that people today would probably not like, but back in the day he was well regarded by people in the industry as the guy that knew what he was doing. Today we eat gluten free seven grain wheat bread and think it's high class quality.

And who's to say which is "better"? We like what we like and they liked what they grew up with.
That's pretty classy, we just eat cheap old white bread.

I have always for years raised they hybrids Early Girl and Better Boy. Disease resitance, heavy production and great flavor. I always snubbed hairlooms because of all the yuppies raving about them on the internet. Because I am not paying $4+ a plant this year I tried a variety of 'hairlooms", started in the house in February I grew from seed I bought on amazon. Cherokee Purple-- small horribly deformed tomatos that had a sweetish/bland flavor where the first to produce in late July (Early Girl is makin maters in early June) I also tried the Great White hairloom. They are supposed to be green tomatos but just now starting to get ripe they are red tomatos Also tried Lemon Boy. They are not yellow and round at all, they are red plum tomatos of some sort with a crappy flavor. I also tried a Polish hairloomthat has yet to produce. The Early Girls I grew from seed this year have yet to ripen a single tomato-- My fault because Early Girls are a hybrid therefor can not be grown from seed. The only good flavored variety that is just now starting toproduce is Siltz, a tomato grown by University of Oregon Agriculture especially for growing in Oregon.

Learned my lesson. Next year, I am gladly paying $4 a plant for Early Girl plant produced by Bonnie Bell and sold by walmart. Root the hybrid suckers and two crops a year can be obtained forever

I have always for years raised they hybrids Early Girl and Better Boy. Disease resitance, heavy production and great flavor. I always snubbed hairlooms because of all the yuppies raving about them on the internet. Because I am not paying $4+ a plant this year I tried a variety of 'hairlooms", started in the house in February I grew from seed I bought on amazon. Cherokee Purple-- small horribly deformed tomatos that had a sweetish/bland flavor where the first to produce in late July (Early Girl is makin maters in early June) I also tried the Great White hairloom. They are supposed to be green tomatos but just now starting to get ripe they are red tomatos Also tried Lemon Boy. They are not yellow and round at all, they are red plum tomatos of some sort with a crappy flavor. I also tried a Polish hairloomthat has yet to produce. The Early Girls I grew from seed this year have yet to ripen a single tomato-- My fault because Early Girls are a hybrid therefor can not be grown from seed. The only good flavored variety that is just now starting toproduce is Siltz, a tomato grown by University of Oregon Agriculture especially for growing in Oregon.

Learned my lesson. Next year, I am gladly paying $4 a plant for Early Girl plant produced by Bonnie Bell and sold by walmart. Root the hybrid suckers and two crops a year can be obtained forever
the last couple years i noticed that the store-bought tomatoes were sprouting its seeds inside itself during the winter when we sliced them to eat. must be treated to keep the tomatoes looking great on the outside. anyway, I decided to let the tomatoes sit and it eventually started to shrivel up. we cut the tomatoes in quarters and planted them in pots under our grow lights. They grew into mature plants and produced a good crop of tomatoes! I'll get a picture and post it of this years plants in the garden. already have had a few ripe tomatoes and there are a few turned red. not bad for north central Minnesota in a drought still.

when mass produced foods took off, we all got use to the new taste from lower cost foods. now we think that the heir loom vegetables and even farm grown beef or chicken taste different or even bad by some people. feed lot beef is one example where there is very little taste and people put A-1 or even ketchup on a steak or roast to get flavor. pork is the same in lack of flavor if not raised on the farm. just my opinion......

pork is the same in lack of flavor if not raised on the farm.
I got a pig raised on milk a couple of years ago. It was supposed to be "the best" because milk fed. Damn thing was half fat. By the time I trimmed the fat from it there was only half of a pork chop. And the meat was so bland it was practically tasteless. I mean... I LIKE fat but that was ridiculous.

I got a pig raised on milk a couple of years ago. It was supposed to be "the best" because milk fed. Damn thing was half fat. By the time I trimmed the fat from it there was only half of a pork chop. And the meat was so bland it was practically tasteless. I mean... I LIKE fat but that was ridiculous.
never had one raised on milk. back in the day grandpa would feed them what they called slop. I think it was milk with grain mixed. they were pastured in a wooded area too. milk fed must be similar to veal. Veal doesn't have a distinct flavor either, just real tender.

My wife raised a lot of tomatoes until this year (letting the hoop house lay fallow for a year or two to clean up disease issues). She would buy seeds from Johnny's Seeds and start her own under grow lights for best results. Other seed sources just did not work as well and buying started plants was too expensive.

Johnnys Seeds-- did she grow heirlooms? I just wrote 1 star reviews on Amazon for all the 'hairlooms' I tried to grow this year, with photos.

Lemon Boy- supposed to be a big round bright yellow tomato. Its a red plum tomato of some kind, nearly tasteless.
Great White 2.JPG

Great White- supposed to be a great big greenish white tomato with exotic fruity flavors. Tomatos are small to medium, red and sour.
Great white 1.JPG

Early Girl grown from seed. Supposed to produce tomatos in 60 days. 7 months later, still no ripe tomatos.
It's my own fault. I knew Hybrids can't be grown from seeds but I thought I'd try it because I'm not paying $4.
Early Girl.JPG

Well, there's these Cherokee Purple tomatos started making tomatos last month. They are smallish, horribly deformed and the insides colored like vomit, taste sweet/bland but better than nothing.

Basically, the whole tomato year was blown on hairlooms. I've learned my lesson. Buy those $4 Early Girls, root the cuttings from the suckers and have a lifetime supply of free Early Girl plants. Ripe tomatos in June, disease resistance, great flavor, indetermiant and produce all season.

My rancher husband does not like grass fed beef. It's the grassy taste. Grain fed is better. He used to buy pens of 40 steers and put them in feed yards. Sometimes made a lot of money, sometimes less. Then Opra said on TV red meat is poison. That was not a good time.

At certain times of the year dairy cows on lush pasture produce grassy tasting milk. I don't like it either.

My rancher husband does not like grass fed beef. It's the grassy taste. Grain fed is better. He used to buy pens of 40 steers and put them in feed yards. Sometimes made a lot of money, sometimes less. Then Opra said on TV red meat is poison. That was not a good time.

At certain times of the year dairy cows on lush pasture produce grassy tasting milk. I don't like it either.
I remember Oprah saying that. Price went down and I have never watched her on anything since.

Glutin free bread tastes like it's made of saw dust.
There are recipes that call for high gluten flour. Something like 2 out of 3,000 people in the States have celiac disease and worldwide about 1%.

Of the people that avoid gluten, about 7% actually have the condition.

Last edited:

Latest posts