Best heirloom seeds for N Central Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I am wanting to plant heirloom seeds this year. All y'all from my area, what has been your experience and recommendations? Maters, taters, beans, squash, okra black eyed peas, peppers. May not do beans this year as I have been disappointed in the past couple of seasons with those.

And have any of you had success with pumpkins in this area? If so, what is your secret? Never had any luck at all with them. Just wondering.

Lammie":7f46ic33 said:
I am wanting to plant heirloom seeds this year. All y'all from my area, what has been your experience and recommendations? Maters, taters, beans, squash, okra black eyed peas, peppers. May not do beans this year as I have been disappointed in the past couple of seasons with those.

And have any of you had success with pumpkins in this area? If so, what is your secret? Never had any luck at all with them. Just wondering.

Call your county state university extension office, they should have a ton of publications issued by your state land grant school. Maybe TX A&M?

Heirloom, schmerloom. Buy a couple flats of the most popular tomatos from the local garden store. They'll know what people are planting in your area. You'll get some disease resistance and some yield you won't get in the older "heirloom" varieties.

Same with the taters.