Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
I cut down a 40 acre field of pine trees with a weed eater. Dig it, baby! :D
P1010705.jpg

P1010711-1.jpg

P1010726.jpg

Jogeephus":asu4pvos said:
I take it that loblolly on sugar sand wasn't your forte.;-)
:D Very true. Those were worse than loblolly- they were sand or virginia pine. That field was leased for growing trees to Brunswick Pacific(subsequently bought out by Plum Creek)back in 1980 by my Dad and clear cut a couple of years ago when the lease ran out. My Dad always said they were sand pines but the Plum Creek guy said Virginia. I think my Dad was right . Either way, I don't want any more of em. The limbs grow down to the ground so mowing them doesn't work- you can't get the mower blades low enough to get all the limbs...not to mention the fit all those stumps would give the mower... Weed eater did the job on them- that's the third blade there at the end and I only broke one drive cable. Soon as those dry down a bit I'll fire up the place and go back in with longleaf.

1982vett":asu4pvos said:
That almost looks dangerous.
I suppose it was a bit dangerous- I started out with a sling on it but took it off after about 30 seconds- I figured out quick that you do not want to be tied to the weedeater if you trip and start to fall. Most exciting thing was when I cut down one tree and there was a 3 ft diamondback under it. :D

Ga....Virginia pines are what so many of these pick and cut christmas tree farms raise isn't it? I use to go by one of those places with many left over trees...needless to say it was a mess and the trees are absolutely worthless.

TexasBred":mcrl8rx0 said:
Ga....Virginia pines are what so many of these pick and cut christmas tree farms raise isn't it? I use to go by one of those places with many left over trees...needless to say it was a mess and the trees are absolutely worthless.
Yes, a lot of Chistmas tree farms in this area and others that can't grow fir trees grow Virginia pines. They're ok for Christmas trees but they grow up knotty and crooked and will never be good for anything other than pulpwood. Very light also. After they dry down they're almost like balsa wood. Burn like kindling though :D

Nice job. Must have been a lot of work. I do hope you have a plan to hold on to your progress. As a southerner, you well know that it can get grown back up in no time. Around south Mississippi, we'd see a place like that completely overwhelmed with Privett hedge, Popcorn trees, etc., in no time.

Farmer Z":2m2enif4 said:
Nice job. Must have been a lot of work. I do hope you have a plan to hold on to your progress. As a southerner, you well know that it can get grown back up in no time. Around south Mississippi, we'd see a place like that completely overwhelmed with Privett hedge, Popcorn trees, etc., in no time.
I know what you mean Z. Thankfully I don't have popcorn trees but I have annihilated quite a bit of privet in areas other than in the field pictured- it's very susceptible to various herbicides. The field I have pictured is very droughty sand- sugar sand as Jo described it- and won't grow back up in unwanted vegetation nearly as quickly as other areas would. I used chopper(imazipyr) to kill the hardwoods, mostly laurel and turkey and post oaks and grass out there and it'll be years before they come back.

TexasBred":18mj0dav said:
i thought they made mulch with em

Prime, have you ever used a hypo-hatchet to kill trees ? I've thought about getting one to kill a bunch of Chinese tallow and privet.

Does GA have cost share to replant the longleaf? A lot of money out there to help re-establish the longleaf in some areas. Sure makes good quail hunting also.

Ryder":1o1fn45z said:
Fred":1o1fn45z said:
Prime, have you ever used a hypo-hatchet to kill trees ? I've thought about getting one to kill a bunch of Chinese tallow and privet.
More info, please.

The idea is good the design is bad. Rather than spending money on this just get a good sharp hatchet and a pump up quart sprayer and you are in business.

Ryder":a5dxwd9y said:
Fred":a5dxwd9y said:
More info, please.
If you want to kill them but still be stuck with the job of getting rid of the dead stuff why not just spray with a good herbiced (remedy) then cut them after they;re dead. My preferred solution is to cut them at or just below grundlevel and spray the stub with remedy. It's alwasy seemed easier to me to cut and move the living stuff compared to doing it with dead stuff.

Fred":28wkqm7j said:
I tried one out once- like Jo said a good idea but poor performance. I use a sharp hatchet and a $1.79 qt spray bottle from Dollar General instead. I also tried a thing that looks like a spear that you jab a tree with and it injects herbicide under the bark- didn't like it either- poor performance and very heavy. A lot of the problem with those two devices is the orifice gets gummed up and you're not injecting herbicide but you don't know it. On the privet, because of it's thin bark I don't think you even need to cut it.
kenny thomas":28wkqm7j said:
Does GA have cost share to replant the longleaf? A lot of money out there to help re-establish the longleaf in some areas. Sure makes good quail hunting also.
Yes, NRCS EQUIP. I'm all about quail habitat restoration. :D
tncattle467":28wkqm7j said:
Looks promising. I assume you could come back once everything is clear with grass or clover or alfalfa or something right or is the ground to sandy?
It will grow coastal bermuda for sure because it was in coastal bermuda before the sand pines were planted in 1980 and there are (were) vestiges still remaining that I recently killed with Imazipyr.

Latest posts