Pine fire

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Yesterday morning, son comes in and says someone whacked our mail box...long story short ....But, ended up with us calling the sheriff to send out a deputy...long story short....Anywho, while talking to her I notice smoke in the distance. I stare at it and think what was in that direction. One of our kids lives in the direction and SIL has a forge for making knives and has occasionally caught things on fire..i interrupt the conversation and point out the fire. We all look and deputy says, "Oh yeah, I saw that but I think its on the other side of the highway." I look over at it again and in my head I said, Nope, that's closer but we all know that fires in the distance can be deceiving. I texted my SIL just to make sure and he said all was ok there so I forgot about it. 6 hours later i'm in my glass room minding my own business and son burst in, doenst say a word and motions me to come out. He's on the phone, so he stops talking to tell me to follow him on the gator and points to some smoke....
We have not found a cause for the fire outside this plot, but decided the storms the day and 1/2 ago started it. Lightning must have hit a tree and it smoldered (what we were seeing that morning from the house) and fell. Luckily, it was in a tall trees so the damage was not too bad, but it was inches from getting into younger trees which would have been very bad. Husband, son, one fire truck with the chief and i fought it.
This is a very isolated field and the closest dwelling and humans is over a mile away as the crow flies, maybe more. There are no deer camps and was nowhere near any fireworks, although, we arent ruling that out... But the last bit of storms that blew through had a lot of lightning and burning trees are pretty common around here after storms.... 30 acres burned.

This is what I drove up to...

TennesseeTuxedo":21t3vyec said:
Interesting to see how it will be twisted right, would you like some extra butter on that popcorn....lol

Looks like it did the woods some good. Growing season fires are what the woods here have evolved to tolerate. Plays he77 on the hardwoods but the pines do fine.

Jogeephus":3q3npa0w said:
Looks like it did the woods some good. Growing season fires are what the woods here have evolved to tolerate. Plays he77 on the hardwoods but the pines do fine.
There is one spot that really flared up that may have damaged some of the big trees... We are kind of interested in seeing what doing this will do to the ground under these trees, as in how long it will stay cleaned up. We've considered doing some control burns in the biggest trees.... These aren't far from saw timber...but, on the other side of that fire lane is younger trees that would have burned like the devil and would have been a total loss....Husband did a lot of back burning, that helped a lot..

Had something similar happen here a few weeks ago

35402067_10155372872416790_1478030406992265216_n.jpg

35463948_10155372872306790_126862244318281728_n.jpg

Nesikep":ir69kotx said:

Did you take the time to get that firefighter's number??? Just in case of flare ups later, of course. ;-)

:lol: :lol:

My husband son and sil are the fire department. At about 5pm we had a good rain. Son went out this morning and said stumps and stuff were still smoldering but were in safe areas. Not to mention lots of fire lanes all around. I'm no fire fighter but my guys are and if they aren't worried I'm not worried.

sim.-ang.king":fk4vm356 said:
Nesikep":fk4vm356 said:

Did you take the time to get that firefighter's number??? Just in case of flare ups later, of course. ;-)

:lol: :lol:

*5555 should get them out again! :)

They gave me a few rolls of 3/4 and 1/2" hose though, they were thankful I had done some work on that tree already.. I got a call from my neighbors across the river saying they saw what might be smoke,.. I took a rake and went to find it, cold trailed around the tree, separated the smoldering stuff from the rest of it, then called the forestry dept.

cowgirl8":2m667lgb said:
Yesterday morning, son comes in and says someone whacked our mail box...long story short ....But, ended up with us calling the sheriff to send out a deputy...long story short

Don't tell me that kids are stealing corn and knocking down mailboxes with them. :lol: :lol:

jehosofat":3btcth1c said:
cowgirl8":3btcth1c said:
Yesterday morning, son comes in and says someone whacked our mail box...long story short ....But, ended up with us calling the sheriff to send out a deputy...long story short

Don't tell me that kids are stealing corn and knocking down mailboxes with them. :lol: :lol:
Yes, I call it the great corn caper..

Latest posts