Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

You also have to remember that she hasn't had a natural calf in a very long time meaning there are huge fat deposits surrounding that tailhead. If you look at pictures of her in her younger days her tailhead is not as prevelant.

and can be justified by the fact that it is a Moderate Heritability trait

Doc, what makes you say this?

Sure looks like 036 really took it out of the 2536 cow, eh?

3R9 would be a neat mating for that cow. I would be surprised if they made that mating, though.

Badlands

regarding the tailset... I am one of those with a pet hate of high tailsets or baboon tails.

The common belief is that it makes calving more difficult as it is usually associated with a pelvis tilted slighty forward, thus reducing the effective pelvic area the calf has to pass through. The opposite is also supposed to be true, where a slight drop from hooks to pins makes giving birth easier. In my mind a tilt is a tilt, whether it is backward or forwards, but all Bos Indicus breeds and also all types of buffaloe has a sloping rump and dystocia is almost unheard of in these species. Whether any of this has been researched thoroughly and been scientificly documented , I honestly don't know.

Badlands, maybe you can shed some light on this for us?

Badlands":17bnjphv said:
and can be justified by the fact that it is a Moderate Heritability trait

Doc, what makes you say this?

Sure looks like 036 really took it out of the 2536 cow, eh?

3R9 would be a neat mating for that cow. I would be surprised if they made that mating, though.

Badlands
-Badlands-

It seems as if I have "caved-in" a few of your barranca's! Is there a basis for the war you seem to be inciting?

You inquired as to "what makes you say this?" Nothing MAKES me say anything. My answer was predicated on percentages of heritabilities determined by various sources in the Beef Industry. Matings between specific Bulls and High Predictability Females are usually determined by - compatability of the conjoined individuals - ascertained by a variety of ways, means and procedures - among being MARC, Breed Associations and Universities. The specific Heritability factor to which I referred was derived from "Calving Ease" percentage of 10 - 40 - the EXACT source of which I am not absolutely certain - RAAA I believe - - but don't hold me to it!

Justify your comment regarding mating 036 and 2536 - and also why your seeming skepticism relating to 3R9 and 2536. 2536 is probably one of -if not THE most desirable and PROVEN seedstock cows in the Angus Breed presently - and perhaps of ALL time!

Would you please itemize the EPD's etc. for 3R9? I am sure we would all appreciate it.

DOC HARRIS

I have never seen the heritability of tail setting, Doc. I thought from your comment you might have. Skeletal measurements generally have very high heritability, so I asked where you got your info. It looks like you are equating calving ease to tail set.

The rest of the comments were general, not directed towards you. I should have made that more clear.

My comment about 3R9 was about using him on the Blackbird cow, not 2539.

As to whether 2539 is everything you said she is, that would be very debatable. Proven, yes. Desirable, I wouldn't say that. If I want cows the size of large Simmentals, I will buy a Simmental. That way I can get the muscle, too.

There is a reason that some of the older style bulls are finding heavier use. Think about it.

Doc, you can't have it all. You go from chastising Angus breeders about their funnel butts and loosing function and the attributes that made the breed great, then you defend some of the cows that contributed to it. What's it going to be?

Straddling the fence will give you a sore spot.

Badlands

Badlands-

You may have a point, however I was under the impression that I had covered some of your queries. Guess not.

By the way, the cow in question here is GAR Precision 3536,, not 2539. Does make a difference.

DOC HARRIS

Seldom do I have the chance to correct two doctors, but I have it now. :D The cow y'all are, or should be, talking about is: G A R Precision 2536.

beef":1yyvefmg said:
Seldom do I have the chance to correct two doctors, but I have it now. :D The cow y'all are, or should be, talking about is: G A R Precision 2536.
- :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap: :clap: :nod: beef-You are right! Gad, how stupid! I can say that was a typo error, but I'll bet that I could never convince you of it!

. . . .and badlands, you are also right! I WAS relating the high tail setting to 10% - 40% "Calving Ease" Moderate Heritability Traits, because I could not find it listed anywhere else! I think when you get right down to it, it is a "cosmetic" choice as much or more so than anything else. I don't like a high tail setting either, but when it is in competition with other traits, it is a low priority!

DOC HARRIS

I think when you get right down to it, it is a "cosmetic" choice as much or more so than anything else. I don't like a high tail setting either, but when it is in competition with other traits, it is a low priority!

Doc, I think that is a near-perfect answer! Of course, I have to say that, as that is the one that I give. LOL. I don't like it either in a cow. Don't know if it REALLY damages anything in a biological sense. But, it generally hurts the sale price.

Now, I understand that there are some older observations that the high tailset cattle also had tipped up vulva's which could catch trash from the "top garbage chute", so we need to think about that. Knersie would probably mention that, as that was something observed in the Bonsmara evolution.

I think it is probably something to avoid in selecting our young females, but if a cow has had a dozen calves, then she has demonstrated that it doesn't impact her.

These are odd cows when we see them. My Tarentaise cows have high tailheads, these cows don't have high tailheads in the way I think about it. They are more "short" or "pushed in" than "high".

I don't mind a high tailhead, that definately will contribute to ease of calving, but I don't like these "short" tailhead cows.

As to the "best" angle from hooks to pins that Knersie asked about. I would rather have them sloping from hooks to pins than the other way around, or even flat. Sloped hips present a larger opening to the calf, like you said. On the other hand, when they lay down to calve as some do, they pull the legs up under themselves and make a slope anyway. Also, sometimes heavy muscled bulls are mistaken for sloping off, when they don't. The muscle makes it look like they are sloping, but they aren't. In the animal kingdom, sloped hips are built for speed and athleticism, I think. While some of that might be important in a cow, I think we can find something that works between the wild kingdom and the show ring.

Now, a common thing I see is people trying to pin down "ideal slope". They say 2 - 3 % from hooks to pins. Well, I think they can't tell that very well, as on an 18" hip, that would only be about 2/10 of a inch, so actually quite flat. That is a pretty astute eyeball! Maybe they mean 2-3" of slope, and on an 18" hip, that would be about a 11-17% slope. Either way, when we try to put everything into a number, it sometimes get's real stoopid. Mostly, if you put a pencil to something someone tells you for about 5 minutes, you can pretty well figure out if they are BS'ing you.

beef, good catch! You haven't seen too many Drs. argue I bet. It gets convoluted and sometimes we miss the little particulars, but I think we are on the same page. LOL. We knew what cow we were talking about, and we just passed it by.

Badlands

Badlands-

With this last post of yours, I think that we are "lurching toward" common sense and practicality in our evaluation of seedstock! We can 'concern' ourselves with inconsequential physicalities in our seedstock to the point of being ridiculous-so much so that the critical and imperative aspects of the factors and traits of Profit-making beef production are lost in the verbosity of minor characteristics - similar to what our National Political leaders are engaged in at the present time - making mountains out of molehills - superficialities over factors of low import!

It is past time that the SERIOUS beef cattle breeders of the world get their heads out of their - boots, and pay attention to those highly heritable characteristics which will result in Profit instead of petty arguments.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts