Pictures of Cows on New Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58":26pvg3mb said:
Bright Raven":26pvg3mb said:
M-5":26pvg3mb said:
why don't you just Rent out some back pasture for custom grazing . Im sure you could hit a lick on it and you wouldn't have to worry about folks seeing them and all you would have to do is welfare checks.

I was joking on the seeing them. :D

My concern is bringing in disease. My herd is approaching closed although there is fenceline contact. The market here for grazing is not worth the trouble. To take in 10 head for the grazing season, I would be lucky to get $80 a month. There are too many idle farms that compete for what lease demand there is in this county.

I agree Ron, biosecurity risk is not worth the hassle of taking in cows for agistment no matter how well managed they are.

Ken

Too bad nobody can ever buy cows off the farm then. I guess it was dumb blind luck that in 2012 I did just that with 30 head and suffered no consequences. Oh and no bulls should EVER be brought in I suppose?

TennesseeTuxedo":2tucpk3q said:
wbvs58":2tucpk3q said:
Bright Raven":2tucpk3q said:
I was joking on the seeing them. :D

My concern is bringing in disease. My herd is approaching closed although there is fenceline contact. The market here for grazing is not worth the trouble. To take in 10 head for the grazing season, I would be lucky to get $80 a month. There are too many idle farms that compete for what lease demand there is in this county.

I agree Ron, biosecurity risk is not worth the hassle of taking in cows for agistment no matter how well managed they are.

Ken

Too bad nobody can ever buy cows off the farm then. I guess it was dumb blind luck that in 2012 I did just that with 30 head and suffered no consequences. Oh and no bulls should EVER be brought in I suppose?

TT. That is not his point! The point is not to bring them in without a purpose. Obviously, if you need to make a purchase, the benefit outweighs the risk.

Bright Raven":1gp4fuoc said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1gp4fuoc said:
wbvs58":1gp4fuoc said:

Ken

TT. That is not his point! The point is not to bring them in without a purpose. Obviously, if you need to make a purchase, the benefit outweighs the risk.

After further review I am inclined to agree with the vet from down under, I don't want my cows picking up anything from your bunch! Who knows what poor old Wheezy was really suffering from?

I am in the middle of doing a biosecurity plan at the moment which I have to lodge so I can get a JBAS6 level which is a low risk level for Johne's disease so that bulls I sell can cross interstate borders. The recommended time to quarantine introduced animals to your property in an isolation paddock is 28 days. Easier just to not bring any in.

Ken

Latest posts