• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THG

Reaction score
I want to post two pictures of a cow and of a bull, but I don't know how to do it? Can I get some help please. I have them in my picture files on my comupter, but don;t know how to post them. I have a picture of Top Secrets dam and a son.

I would like your alls opinions on Top Secret, escpecially the people that have used him.

My opinions are that he isn't what I thought he was made out to be, but has a great spread of EPDS from BW to Growth numbers. His EPD carcass numbers aren't the best in the world, and also one of his sons that is leased by Select Sires is one very flat muscled bull that I would never use.

THG

topsecret.jpg

^^^^^ Top Secret's Dam

He's in my tank and I plan to use him a little this year. Only a little because I'll mostly use KCF Bennett 3008 M326. But Top Secret has 20 chances with me at this point. I like the Select Sires bull, Secret, also, but not as well as Top Secret.

Who is the cow in the pic? Top Secret dam?

Alan

He's in my tank and I plan to use him a little this year. Only a little because I'll mostly use KCF Bennett 3008 M326. But Top Secret has 20 chances with me at this point. I like the Select Sires bull, Secret, also, but not as well as Top Secret.

Alan

Sorry my fault.

oakcreekfarms":1hhqnfj0 said:
I believe that triple l has a top secret son.
No, they just added a DR World Class 517 10H son to there bull battery. Larry and Carol Gildemastr in South Dakota bought a Top Secret son from the Thomas family last year if that is the bull your talking about?

Alan":13lrow2d said:

Alan
Alan, have you seen the Top Secret son that is also named "Secret" in the Select Sires bull lineup? I tell you what, World Class progeny are the big talk and also are some of the best sellers. Last Fall, $29,000 bull at Boyds, then a $13,000 bull at the Huth Sale, then jsut last month, an $8000 bull sold through the Curtis Polled Herefords sale. I mean, I guess his progeny are really starting to catch fire and sread should I say.

I Was looking up both Top Secret and then a son that select sires has. The son had a BW of 100 and a BW epd of 3.6. I have BW epds higher than that with actual BW's in the high 80's and low 90's. If I had to chose between the two I would use TS if I liked his actual BW.

S&S

THG":kgjt56pm said:
Alan":kgjt56pm said:

Alan
Alan, have you seen the Top Secret son that is also named "Secret" in the Select Sires bull lineup? I tell you what, World Class progeny are the big talk and also are some of the best sellers. Last Fall, $29,000 bull at Boyds, then a $13,000 bull at the Huth Sale, then jsut last month, an $8000 bull sold through the Curtis Polled Herefords sale. I mean, I guess his progeny are really starting to catch fire and sread should I say.

I haven't seen Secret, other than in Select Sires semen catalog. I like him pretty well, but didn't buy semen when I had the chance just because I have Top Secret in the tank.

I'll check out the World Class son at Triple L if I can, World Class is another I like and have in the tank. Like Top Secret I'll use World Class a bit, but mostly M326 this year on my few head.

Alan

Yeah Alan, boy those M326 daughters do look great in production. You know, on a past that was one here not long ago, there was two daughters on here out of M326 and two good sons of M326, Radar and Ribeye. Well, to me, the M326 daughters looked very milky, at least the one on the left did, the one on the right looked to have a udder, but not enough milk. I have had problems in the past of 3008 daughters not producting enough milk to feed her calf with. But, there should be some really good M326 daughters in production now and for years to come. Also, the reason his progeny are so big at Sandhill Farms, is because Kevin bred M326 to cows that are sired by Remitall Keynote, Governor, and also Marshall. Those bulls are more of a bigger frame and more high performance. Well, how does everyone like the picture of Top Secrets dam, she is a real good cow.

THG

I have used M326 the past 3 years and I calved daughters of his this spring. The did a real nice job, good uddered, easy fleshing, and good mothers. I am happy and will continue to use him. He has not added a bunch of frame to my moderated framed cowherd either. In fact the first year I used him in August I wondered if they would have enough frame for my needs even though I don't like framey cattle. My concern was unfounded as they have grown into just the right sized females for me.

I have also calved daughters of World Class 10H this year too. They have also done everything I ask of them.

I was wondering how many of you have seen calves out of Top Secret. The ones I have seen and I admit it hasn't been many was they maybe lacked spring of rib and heart girth. Maybe it was just the way they were used?

Brian

I have used M326 the past 3 years and I calved daughters of his this spring. The did a real nice job, good uddered, easy fleshing, and good mothers. I am happy and will continue to use him. He has not added a bunch of frame to my moderated framed cowherd either. In fact the first year I used him in August I wondered if they would have enough frame for my needs even though I don't like framey cattle. My concern was unfounded as they have grown into just the right sized females for me.

What frame sizes are his daughters, how much pigment does his progeny have and how does the eye set look? Did you get any horns or scurs out of M326?

Any chance of a photo or two? You can PM me if you don't like to post it here.

I also would love to see some pics of the m326 duaghters, it was good new on their frame size.

Alan

I am going to attempt some pictures next week of my young cows weather permitting. We received 1.6" of rain the past few days and it is cloudy overcast and even muddy. Its been a while since I could say that! I am very thankfull for the rain.

I do not take frame scores on my cattle. I tend to judge cattle by weight rather than frame score. I live by the adage that it isn't how big they get its more important how fast they get there. I like fast growing, high performing, moderate framed cattle.

M326 will sire some horns and last year a yearling bull did get a slight scur on him. Nothing major, barely even noticeable.
They will pretty much all have pigment and many even have goggle eyes when used on my Braxton Giant bred cows. He added red necks and red legs on my cows too.

I will continue to use him as after 3 years of calves, I am getting a pretty good feel of how he works on my cows and the calves are pretty marketable.

smnherf":2wrn7aur said:

I have also calved daughters of World Class 10H this year too. They have also done everything I ask of them.

I was wondering how many of you have seen calves out of Top Secret. The ones I have seen and I admit it hasn't been many was they maybe lacked spring of rib and heart girth. Maybe it was just the way they were used?

Brian
Brian, Knoll Crest Farm has some very good progeny that they have offered for sale out of Top Secret. But, what I have seen is, not to put Top Secret down, but not enough muscle for my likings. He is also not powerful enough and not growthly enough. Now, on heifers, yes, he would fit right in, but I wouldn't build a cowherd with Top Secret. Also, LaGrand Hereford Ranch has offered some heifers in there past sales sired by Top Secret and I wasn't to impressed.

About M326, I think his daughters look good, just what the commercial cattlemen needs, avg frame scores. Bigger and more framer cattle, aren't my likings either. I haven't got M326 on my list to use this year, just going to use DR World Class 517 10H as my only AI. bull and then use my herd bulls to breed my cows with.

THG

Latest posts