Pics - Yearling Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

gross, that picture makes me want to throw up. she looks like a bull.

yeah right! my pics arent that great. i just get lucky every once in a while.

Beefy":3cenkcnn said:

Beefy your full of it; we all wait for your pics, because we know they will be good.

Beefy":26imzm0x said:

thanks beefy.... btw accept the compliments, you take the best pics on the boards :D

cfpinz":31f3hua1 said:
mitchwi - I like your pinz heifer myself. What is she bred to?

cfpinz

well, the pinz and the hereford were the only 2 heifers of breeding age last year and it was getting late in the season, so a friend of mine who raises angus lowline borrowed his bulls services to me...the calves will be raised for freezer stocking, and I am hoping no BW problems for first time calvers....

TheBullLady":285jvmof said:
Bad angle.. you can't get a good picture of a bovine from in front.. they will always look heavy fronted and big headed!

The first two pictures are actually pretty good... it's hard to get them to stand perfect, and you have to watch your background. If you can get them to stand in front of say, a fence, or an open field, it makes more of a contrast so you can actually see the animal.

For the most flattering pictures, stand back almost to their hip, with the cow standing sideways to you, and shoot towards the head. That will make the back end bigger, and the front smaller.
-

We seem to be talking about two different subjects here. One - flattering pictures, and - - two - FACTUAL pictures. It may MAKE a bull LOOK more desirable, flattering, more HEAVILY muscled in the hindquarters, etc, to shoot a picture from an angle and near the rear end, BUT that is lying to the observer just as much as it is to shove them through a beauty salon, trim, comb, brush, spray and cut their hair to distort reality to prevent one's being aware of their faults. That is called "fore-shortening". It might make a prospective buyer bid higher at an auction, but it certainly won't make the bull's progeny present the phenotype that the buyer EXPECTED to get when he originally eye-balled the individual and paid more for him with the expectation that he was getting something which in reality, he did NOT get!

Pictures, good OR not so good (BAD to put it FACTUALLY), is an uninformed method to analyze animals. The photographer may feel justified and satisfied with the job performed, but it is falsifying reality - however one looks at it. Mud and Manure free - that is fine. But air-brushed, tinted, painted "toe nails", "touched-up" white hairs (or black hairs, or red hairs, or green hairs, or ANY hairs), or distorted pictures is blatent prevaricating, and makes me (and most customers) think "Fool me ONCE - shame on you. Fool me TWICE - SHAME on ME!" - whether they say it or not. Would I trust a seller again in a situation such as that?? Or in ANY business transaction, for that matter?!

What do YOU think??

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts