Pics or it didn't happen

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE":27y3wvef said:
sim.-ang.king":27y3wvef said:
Hoser":27y3wvef said:
I'm curious why you would cut out the hereford?
Hereford looking calves, or calves with lots of white on their bellie, don't sell well around here. They have to be pretty outstanding to sell as good as a solid. A little white on the face, or a little white behind the navel doesn't hurt.
Not to say they wouldn't be good cows or not. Just not what the buyer wants, and his opinion is the only one that matters.
King, do you go through any of the sale barns? I know you're awful close to Wayne City. The buyer I been using knows about when our Herf cross calves are due to sell, and asks about them. He discounts our Simm calves, though.
I try to only sell breeding animals at Wayne City, my calves go to Greenville, unless I have an odd couple calves. I've notice though that at Wayne City some of the best selling calves are smoky, or dark tan calves.

Hoser":2qse1xxq said:
sim.-ang.king":2qse1xxq said:
Hoser":2qse1xxq said:
I'm curious why you would cut out the hereford?
Hereford looking calves, or calves with lots of white on their bellie, don't sell well around here. They have to be pretty outstanding to sell as good as a solid. A little white on the face, or a little white behind the navel doesn't hurt.
Not to say they wouldn't be good cows or not. Just not what the buyer wants, and his opinion is the only one that matters.
Fair enough. Herefords sell fairly well here, especially if I breed her to a thick stout black angus bull.

The same here. The top seller here is a Hereford/Angus black baldie, then a good straight Angus. Anything that shows any simi or limi or that they announce has such is docked. Those with the simi type bald faced are docked. The feeder buyers around here say they can usually tell those with limi or simi influence when they walk in even if they are solid black. Good straight Herefords are now selling better than a straight limi or simi. We are mainly Angus, tried a Balancer, has some Hereford and Red Angus females. Too early to tell about the Red Angus. They are heifers with their first calves sucking now. Hopefully crossed on Black Angus we won't see any dock. Trying to find a good broad, soggy polled Hereford bull to use on the Red and Black Angus cows. So we can reap the rewards of the baldies.

Simmental bring a premium here. You want Simmental influence in your cow herd. The auctioneers often refer to the blacks with white faces as the ones with the "money stripe." Take two similar bulls with the same bloodlines put them in the ring together in the spring and sell choice. The money stripe goes first and add around 1k to the price. Simmental have done a great job of promoting the breed in Canada and they work here. Herefords were almost extinct here a few years back. Getting to be a few breeders the past few years but you would have to drive 80-90 miles to find any around here.

Latest posts