Pics of heifer calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a few pics of what the heifers have done so far this year. Bred them a little early but so far everything is working OK.

This one is proud of his ma.

aa2.jpg

I think this one likes the viddles.
aaawww.jpg

The nursery and babysitters.

IMG_3156.jpg

Oh my gosh. I absolutly love that little girl in the first pic. If you was closer to me I would definely take her home. She looks like my heifer that I had born last year. Yep I still have her shes not going anywhere. I love all of the calves I just love the black eyes and the baldy faces! :heart:

Some nice looking calves. I've had 10 or so the last several weeks also. Was thinking about getting some pictures of them also. Had one cow doing her dance this afternoon when I went to work on some fence. Just about dark I saw her cleaning it up.

What happened to all your green grass? Your pasture look a lot like mine but without the cracks and holes.

baxter78":3gubmteu said:
I take it you are using hereford bulls on those black cows? An awful lot of black baldy calves not to be.

I was thinking a Simm bull. I use a Simm bull and git the exact same coloring as the heifer in the first picture. The black eyes with a baldy face. The Sim bull has black eyes with the baldy face. Already have 3 new ones on the ground. I need to get some pics when I ever have time.

Thanks. I use Hereford bulls. The fella that buys most of my cattle suggested that I do this or use a Simmental as this is what he prefers. I couldn't find a reasonable simmental in my area so I chose the herfs. Been well pleased with them all around. I put just one young bull on these heifers. I bred them early hoping to give them some extra time to recover and get in sync with the others. Most are calving as 2 year olds but there are a few that are younger. The bull I put on these is a young bull. I named him Highway since his ear tag is 125 which is also the name of a state highway that runs through the county. He doesn't have papers or anything but breeder assured me he would work good on heifers. With the exception of one, he has been true to his word. Highway has great stamina and have had several 4 calf days and it looks like he is going to have them all grouped up within a 45 days. He's my AI tech.

1982vett":xspd1hbb said:
What happened to all your green grass?

We had a cold snap that blistered everything plus we are back in another dry period. I've had to start feeding hay but if we would get a little rain I have some real good grazing just over the horizon but it just needs a little more time and water. Once this gets lush enough, they will winter on this and I think I'll be able to keep their condition up.

I've thought many times about the wisdom folks have given about not retaining and raising heifers. The investment in these heifers have definitely provenn this to be true. But next year, things are going to be better - right?!?

But next year, things are going to be better - right?!?

Maybe not next year, but the year after that you'll be glad you kept the replacemnets instead of buying someone else's culls at the salebarn.

KNERSIE":39izkx5x said:

Maybe not next year, but the year after that you'll be glad you kept the replacemnets instead of buying someone else's culls at the salebarn.

As long as they haven't completely turned the light off at the end of the tunnel I'll keep plugging away at it.

Jogeephus":2wxlv0qo said:
As long as they haven't completely turned the light off at the end of the tunnel I'll keep plugging away at it.

I wouldn't say the light has been turned off, but it does look rather dark at the end of that tunnel. :roll:

Jogeephus":3shggmdy said:
Well, one thing for sure, we got change coming. :roll:

Jogeephus":3shggmdy said:
We had a cold snap that blistered everything plus we are back in another dry period. I've had to start feeding hay but if we would get a little rain I have some real good grazing just over the horizon but it just needs a little more time and water.
I noticed my pastures were turning yellow-er (they weren't green to start with) that is when I realized we had a hard frost. :shock: Rained real hard this morning :eek: twice :shock: for about 15 seconds. :( I guess it will zip thru your neighborhood in a day or two. I will be hard for you to get some rain and get less that we got today.

KNERSIE":35e8cd0s said:

Those are some really fine looking calves!! Those baldies are my favorites.
And I think you are smart in keeping some of those back as replacements. I try to keep around 3or4 each year, but this year am keeping 7 back. With prices the way they are...why not?

HeyJo,that is some nice looking claves. You said you bred the heifers alittle early. How old were they ?