Pics of Charter Capt's new farm in TN

Help Support CattleToday:

charter capt":239kput7 said:
Hoss, you are right it has an Olive Hill address

Allot of my family still live in the Olive Hill area so I thought that I recognized the farm. You should be happy there. Another area to consider for fresh water fishing is on the Tennessee River at Clifton. Put in at the Clifton Marina and fish the mouth of Ross Creek for good bass action.

If you go to the Savanah sale barn look up W.G. Howell who works there. He is a good friend of the family. He will make sure you are treated right.

Hasbeen":3pfc4gwg said:
Wow, that would be my dream place. Pics 1 and 3 almost look like you've moved to Cade's Cove.

Wife and I went to Cade's Cove on our honeymoon. Really cool.

cfpinz

I just noticed something; in the second pic, on the far left, looks like y' got a crooked post there. ;-)

Other than that...nice place...congrats! :D

Hey Capt. we are just up the road, highway 72 across the Mississippi line. I'm working a couple of horses for some folks in Savanna. There is a great place to eat up close to Corinth called Chapman's, all you can eat crab legs on the weekends. Looks like you need a couple o' horses to ride that place and check cows and fences. Good luck and let us hear from you.

Very nice looking place! I love the rolling hills.. we don't see much of that here in the "Blackland Prairie" of Texas!

Good luck.. you'll have a great time there!

the reason I drug this post back up is because we are going back to the farm for a week to do some work.

If you look at picture number 3 there are brush piles like the ones in the pictures all over the pastures. I plan on consolidating some of the small ones to burn and burn the larger ones where they are. I KNOW! Be careful !!

My question is after burning the brush, I plan on raking the dirt and replanting grass. Any suggestions on what type seed to plant?

In picture 5, those trees that you see are growing thru a fence that is electric, but not turned on at the moment and I have hundreds of yards of fence line that are like this. Suggestions on the best way to take care of this problem.

Thanks
Barry

charter capt":3qkc1yjw said:
the reason I drug this post back up is because we are going back to the farm for a week to do some work.

If you look at picture number 3 there are brush piles like the ones in the pictures all over the pastures. I plan on consolidating some of the small ones to burn and burn the larger ones where they are. I KNOW! Be careful !!

My question is after burning the brush, I plan on raking the dirt and replanting grass. Any suggestions on what type seed to plant?

In picture 5, those trees that you see are growing thru a fence that is electric, but not turned on at the moment and I have hundreds of yards of fence line that are like this. Suggestions on the best way to take care of this problem.

Thanks
Barry

Kentucky 31 fescue is a good choice. If it will be grazed add a little clover in and fertilize. You might want to wait until about October to sow as the heat and dryness will keep the roots from growing deep and it will die off.

HOSS":386g7mfp said:
charter capt":386g7mfp said:

Allot of my family still live in the Olive Hill area so I thought that I recognized the farm. You should be happy there. Another area to consider for fresh water fishing is on the Tennessee River at Clifton. Put in at the Clifton Marina and fish the mouth of Ross Creek for good bass action.

If you go to the Savanah sale barn look up W.G. Howell who works there. He is a good friend of the family. He will make sure you are treated right.
Hoss do you know any of the Carrolls around Clifton.

bobby22":3ok9ounz said:
HOSS":3ok9ounz said:
charter capt":3ok9ounz said:

Hoss do you know any of the Carrolls around Clifton.

Are you talking about Preston Carroll? Former wealthy construction company owner? If so yes....my cousin was once married to his daughter Anne who within the last five years was Tanya Tucker's famous nanny in her reality TV show on CMT.

I know some other Carrolls there also. Good country farming folks.

ALACOWMAN":1lobqjmb said:
thats a pretty area around savanha. shilo. has to be one of the prettist battlefield's ive been too. right on the bank of the tenn

Shilo is the best Civil War battlefield experience I have ever had and I have been to several. Pick a quite April day when the dogwoods are in bloom and go sit on the bench near bloody pond. Close your eyes and you will feel that eerie, ghost-like feeling that will give you the willies. I am not usually a believer in ghosts but I think this place transcends "special" at least for me.

charter capt":2qx58hb9 said:

Chain saw, brush hook, and machete. Followed by herbicide when the brush starts coming back up.

It's good therapy.

HOSS":f6jumv83 said:
ALACOWMAN":f6jumv83 said:
thats a pretty area around savanha. shilo. has to be one of the prettist battlefield's ive been too. right on the bank of the tenn

Shilo is the best Civil War battlefield experience I have ever had and I have been to several. Pick a quite April day when the dogwoods are in bloom and go sit on the bench near bloody pond. Close your eyes and you will feel that eerie, ghost-like feeling that will give you the willies. I am not usually a believer in ghosts but I think this place transcends "special" at least for me.
Yes that is who I am talking about. My dad worked with Preston for 25 years. He grew up with his younger brother Sammy in Chapel Hill NC.. That is where the family is originally from. It is a small world isn't it. I know Ann, Lt. Preston and Clyde Carroll also. I also have a good friend of mine by the name of Jim Strickland that lives there also. I worked two years with them in the late 70's when I was 18 and 19 years old. They are good folks.

Captain
I would consider planting Persist orchard grass. It was developed at the University of Tn. specifically for the southeast,
and is supposed to be very hardy, and drought resistant. Google persist orchard grass, and you can find lots of info. Progressive farmer magazine featured it in an article several years ago.

Latest posts