Pickuo rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I need to get a pickup rifle. But actually more important would be how to carry it in the pickup. Most every rancher around here has a rifle in their pickup. But they seem to have bucket seats. They jam the rifle between is seat and the center console. My pickup is standard cab with bench seat. I use to have those rear window gun racks. The head rests and the rear window configuration exclude those. Behind the seat it will get banged up and isn't very handy to get when wily coyote shows up. Ideas?

Three good ways to carry.........for a pickup rifle I have a Savage .308. If it gets a little damage no problem and it was accurate out of the box.

hWL6pdF.png

images

HkHEe5z.jpg

The guy I helped last winter/spring had rifle I really liked for a pickup rifle. It was a single shot with a fairly short barrel. The combination of a short barrel and no action made it a short handy gun. It was a 223. I believe it was a Rossi. Probably not the most accurate rifle in the world but plenty good for a beat around pickup gun. I am going to give him a call to find out the make and model.
I have been trying to figure out some way to put the gun across the front of the seat. It would be out of sight but not concealed. Out of the way yet easy to get to.

Dave":1es8exkq said:
The guy I helped last winter/spring had rifle I really liked for a pickup rifle. It was a single shot with a fairly short barrel. The combination of a short barrel and no action made it a short handy gun. It was a 223. I believe it was a Rossi. Probably not the most accurate rifle in the world but plenty good for a beat around pickup gun. I am going to give him a call to find out the make and model.
I have been trying to figure out some way to put the gun across the front of the seat. It would be out of sight but not concealed. Out of the way yet easy to get to.

I have a CVA Hunter in 223 great varmit gun to get banged around. I have no clue how many hogs it has educated they are not out of range. Henry makes one also.

I use a Savage Trophy Hunter Compact in .223. A lower priced rifle would be the axis 2 compact in .243. 20" barrels and accurate.
Someone else mentioned Howa.I know a guy who has a Howa made Mossberg 1500 in 308.It hits where you aim.And,although they don't get much positive ink,the 783 Remington my son has is a shooter.

The gun my friend has is a Rossi single shot 223. I looked on Gun Brokers there was one listed for under $300. Not doing anything today. Just research at this point. Now I am going to try to figure out how to mount a set of quad gun racks to the front of my seat. I think they are designed to clamp on to something bigger than the seat frame.

This is for in front of back seat but you may be able to make it work for the front seat.
Picture is for a shotgun but the website says they can be used for AR and other platforms...you have to configure the page for whatever rifle you are going to end up with.

https://www.tufloc.com/product/floor-mo ... le-rack-2/

They pretty proud of them at $219 and change.........

Dave":3i4mz9ua said:
The gun my friend has is a Rossi single shot 223. I looked on Gun Brokers there was one listed for under $300. Not doing anything today. Just research at this point. Now I am going to try to figure out how to mount a set of quad gun racks to the front of my seat. I think they are designed to clamp on to something bigger than the seat frame.
you might check out the Ruger 223 youth mod I like them they are short and have a clip. I like a gun with a clip for a pickup gun.

Pistol under the seat or on the dash is as fast as it gets. After that I like a lever gun like my model 94 then some thing like a mini 14.

Back in the day when every one built their own wooden center consoles for their bench seat truck I saw one that had cup holders on the front with a notch for the stock of a gun. You could fit a short rifle with the barrel down and the stock coming up thru the console. It kept the gun from sliding all over the place. I always like the idea but I always had manual shift trucks so it never worked out.

Brute 23":7kl04we8 said:
Pistol under the seat or on the dash is as fast as it gets. After that I like a lever gun like my model 94 then some thing like a mini 14.

Back in the day when every one built their own wooden center consoles for their bench seat truck I saw one that had cup holders on the front with a notch for the stock of a gun. You could fit a short rifle with the barrel down and the stock coming up thru the console. It kept the gun from sliding all over the place. I always like the idea but I always had manual shift trucks so it never worked out.

Hard to beat a lever gun in carbine for quick action in tight spots.

Brute 23":3ixy4j61 said:

You don't shoot a simi automatic rifle inside a truck if you want to keep the glass. A Browning BAR can even break a mirror shooting off the door with it open.

True Grit Farms":1qdwm9hx said:
Brute 23":1qdwm9hx said:

You don't shoot a simi automatic rifle inside a truck if you want to keep the glass.
and nothing like a hot shell casing bouncing off the glass and down inside your shirt front.... :lol:

greybeard":3hd32gss said:
True Grit Farms":3hd32gss said:
Brute 23":3hd32gss said:

You don't shoot a simi automatic rifle inside a truck if you want to keep the glass.
and nothing like a hot shell casing bouncing off the glass and down inside your shirt front.... :lol:
makes it hard to keep your point of aim :nod:

Hook2.0":1r1mfn87 said:
Left this morning with out getting one of the rifles. Got to one field and a bold yote was just walking along inside some trees like no big deal at 75 yards. Even stopped for me.
You know and knew better.

I've been shooting a Browning BAR .338 Win. Mag for over 30 years, I can't imagine torching one off in the cab.

How about a gun holder in a seat cover, I have a pistol pouch on my bucket seats? Fits on the front edge under legs.

Latest posts