Pickuo rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

I just thought that I have a leather rifle scabbard that could certainly hold a rifle across the front of the seat. I just have to figure out someway of attaching it. Hmmmm If a person can attach it to a saddle on a horse it certainly should be able to attach it to a pickup seat.

True Grit Farms":tmjkeg60 said:
Brute 23":tmjkeg60 said:
Pistol under the seat or on the dash is as fast as it gets. After that I like a lever gun like my model 94 then some thing like a mini 14.

Back in the day when every one built their own wooden center consoles for their bench seat truck I saw one that had cup holders on the front with a notch for the stock of a gun. You could fit a short rifle with the barrel down and the stock coming up thru the console. It kept the gun from sliding all over the place. I always like the idea but I always had manual shift trucks so it never worked out.
You don't shoot a simi automatic rifle inside a truck if you want to keep the glass. A Browning BAR can even break a mirror shooting off the door with it open.

Naw, it will be alright. :)

One year my dad and I we were going to shoot rifles before deer season so went in the hay field, threw a back pack on the hood and shot a feed sack in front of a hay bale. Guns were all good. We got back in my truck and the whole windshield was splintered all over the place. It was hard to see. :lol: I had a bunch of chips and stuff and the percussion shooting across the hood made them all run. It was a mess.

I would go with how you are thinking across the front of the seat in a reg cab pickup. Fashioned a set of hooks for back of seat in my crew cab and they work great. Gun is out of sight and out of way but I can get it in action in a second and never open door if necessary. I have a Mossberg .243 bolt in it I picked up for $140 that had been hauled before I got it. Was scratched up some but shoots great. Plenty of good options out there in these new composite stock economy bolts and most are shooters. Ruger American, TC Compass, or Savage Axis are good places to start. Probably go .223 or .243 if it were mine.

To my knowledge a long gun doesn't usually come under concealed weapons laws but I could be wrong. We have pretty laid back carry laws here. For safety I never carry mine with one in the tube. Can cycle the bolt fast as I can spin the rifle and it's not for defensive use.

Dave":1prd3ra7 said:
I just thought that I have a leather rifle scabbard that could certainly hold a rifle across the front of the seat. I just have to figure out someway of attaching it. Hmmmm If a person can attach it to a saddle on a horse it certainly should be able to attach it to a pickup seat.
if you go this way it looks like it would be hard to retrieve it with out stopping and opening the door. Mine rides just stuck between the bucket seat, but you don't have bucket seats, when I had a truck with bench seat it rode in the passenger seat with barrel facing down if I had a rider it was stuck in floor board back under the seat but always where I could retrieve it in a split second. Mine is just what it says it is a pickup gun it was bought for that and if it is not in ruff condition when I bought it, it will be before long. It spends pretty much it whole life riding in pickup or on front of ATV, riding in the boat, riding on tractor, or riding on a mule.

BRYANT":b4mwsqfc said:
Dave":b4mwsqfc said:
if you go this way it looks like it would be hard to retrieve it with out stopping and opening the door. Mine rides just stuck between the bucket seat, but you don't have bucket seats, when I had a truck with bench seat it rode in the passenger seat with barrel facing down if I had a rider it was stuck in floor board back under the seat but always where I could retrieve it in a split second. Mine is just what it says it is a pickup gun it was bought for that and if it is not in ruff condition when I bought it, it will be before long. It spends pretty much it whole life riding in pickup or on front of ATV, riding in the boat, riding on tractor, or riding on a mule.

Going to exit the pickup to shoot anything. I am not in that big of a hurry to get a shot off. Besides, here it is against the law to have a loaded rifle in the vehicle or to shot from one.
Where I use to hunt deer and elk we would carry a shotgun across the floor boards under the seat for the occasional grouse sitting on the road. With the shotgun I never worried about knocking the sights off zero. I have thought about packing a rifle that way but wondered about the effect it would have on the scope.

If your not in a hurry and aren't going to have the gun loaded, just carry the rifle behind the seat in a soft sided gun case with a trigger lock. You can also store the bullets separate in a lock box to make sure no one or nothing gets hurt.

Dave":2axnmvwe said:
BRYANT":2axnmvwe said:
Dave":2axnmvwe said:

Going to exit the pickup to shoot anything. I am not in that big of a hurry to get a shot off. Besides, here it is against the law to have a loaded rifle in the vehicle or to shot from one.
Where I use to hunt deer and elk we would carry a shotgun across the floor boards under the seat for the occasional grouse sitting on the road. With the shotgun I never worried about knocking the sights off zero. I have thought about packing a rifle that way but wondered about the effect it would have on the scope.
same law here ''no loaded rifle in vehicle and cant shoot from vehicle'' That is why I like a gun with a clip, the clip lays in center console so I can load it fast as for shooting from vehicle ??? well in my pasture you let a coyote pop up or let me drive by one of the ponds and see a beaver and its fixing to get shot from the vehicle I don't figure it no body business . Effect on scopes there is another tread I started a few days back about scopes for pickup guns I have and old 3x9 weaver that has had a ruff life and its still a good scope I also have a cheaper scope , I think is a Tasco , that did not last. The right scope will hold up well. good luck

True Grit Farms":3b2o4yi1 said:
If your not in a hurry and aren't going to have the gun loaded, just carry the rifle behind the seat in a soft sided gun case with a trigger lock. You can also store the bullets separate in a lock box to make sure no one or nothing gets hurt.

Well, I will be a touch faster than having a trigger lock and the bullets locked up. As for shooting out of the truck the reality is the only shots taken that way would be out the drivers side window. Any other direction the first shot would be to blow the window out. Don't need to shoot a coyote that bad. Gun that slides out of the rack quickly and bullets on the dash. A break action single shot is pretty fast to load. Over the years I have fired a lot of second and third shots at coyotes, very few with success. Most just help the coyote find a higher gear.

I've currently got a .308 laying across the center console with the end of the barrel stuck in a little "cubbyhole" in the dash beside the radio. Lines up perfectly level and I can still use two of the three cup holders. Keep it locked and loaded but empty chamber. Can have it out the window and be squeezing the trigger in about 5 seconds tops. These dang wild dogs around here don't let the grass grow under their feet. I've educated too many of them.

JMJ Farms":1tvrnxyf said:
I've currently got a .308 laying across the center console with the end of the barrel stuck in a little "cubbyhole" in the dash beside the radio. Lines up perfectly level and I can still use two of the three cup holders. Keep it locked and loaded but empty chamber. Can have it out the window and be squeezing the trigger in about 5 seconds tops. These dang wild dogs around here don't let the grass grow under their feet. I've educated too many of them.
I shot a varmint yesterday left handed out the passenger side window in your time frame. Vincent was riding shotgun and was pressed back into the seat with his fingers in his ears. There's only one down fall of shooting a right handed rifle left handed, there's no second chances.

True Grit Farms":3lolyqq1 said:
JMJ Farms":3lolyqq1 said:
I shot a varmint yesterday left handed out the passenger side window in your time frame. Vincent was riding shotgun and was pressed back into the seat with his fingers in his ears. There's only one down fall of shooting a right handed rifle left handed, there's no second chances.
Yep. That's right. Gotta make the first one count!

True Grit Farms":2mfliji9 said:
JMJ Farms":2mfliji9 said:
sounds pretty good , I am a bad shoot if I try to use my left eye

JMJ Farms":kvtr9f47 said:
It works, just put a flannel shirt over it while in town.

BRYANT":1tq9uw3u said:
True Grit Farms":1tq9uw3u said:
JMJ Farms":1tq9uw3u said:
sounds pretty good , I am a bad shoot if I try to use my left eye
Growing up my Gpaw made me shoot from sides. I'm faster right handed but I shoot deer every year left handed.

Latest posts