pic the hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Hi all,

Serious possibility that Cypress Farms will be expanding in the future. Went today and looked at some young polled hereford bulls. I'm interested in everyone's opinion. Bull will be used on Brangus cows to make black baldies.

Critic away!!!!!

Bull #76, born 10/21/05 80 lb birthweight, 3.6 BW epd, YW epd of 49.:
76.jpg

Bull #152, born 02/06/06 90 lb. birthweight, 3.4 BW epd, YW epd of 38:

152.jpg

Although the bulls are roughly 3 months apart, #152 is the same size as #76. Both tame, came up to us strangers with a bucket. Side note::: The sire for both of them is in the background of #76's picture. Nice looking bull.

Thoughts????

well i know wich bull id buy.id take the 152 bull no question.even at 7 months old he is twice the bull that other bull is,an he is very growthy,an i like his blood red color.he is gpomg tobe a heck of a bull when he matures.

I'm with bigbull, but I'd suggest to definately keep the search up, there are nicer young bulls than that out there that will should suit you better.

FWIW, I prefer the looks of #152 over the #76, regardless of the EPD's. #152, in my opinion, has grown better/faster than #76. The pics aren't the greatest, but #152 also looks to have a larger frame.

JMHO

Katherine

I too will say that I like 152 the best, but may still pass on buying him, partly because he is only 7 months, meaning you're feeding for 6 or 9 months before you can use him. 76 should be cut, too thin and lanky, no frame, just not close to enough bull in him.

I will bet you can find a really nice yearling for the same amount of money, I'm guessing around $1000 to $1500.

JMO,
Alan

Don't take this in the wrong way, but neither one really turns me on. But it's hard for me to form an opinion on a 7 month old calf as to whether or not he would make a good herd bull, I'm just not that smart. Personally I'd look for something a year old or better, easier to see what you're paying for. (For me anyways.)

cfpinz

i can say without even seeing good pictures of the two that 152 is far better than the other bull. are those black herefords they are running with?

Beefy":7flscj2a said:
are those black herefords they are running with?

Nope, we don't have those down here. :) This rancher a.i.'s angus and herefords.

Hey Beefy, always thought I was heading to two herds; one being brangus and crossed with hereford bulls, the other being beefmaster crossed with angus plus bulls. What do you think would come of a hereford beefmaster cross? (Besides red)

they would be just as good, except theyd be 5/8 hereford. i would expect them mostly (all?) to be red with white faces (?).

I like 152 over 76, there's just not enough bull there, and I don't like either one of their EPD's. BW too high for such a low YW

Cypress

This isnt really even a tough one. First posting a pic of a bull (any bull) on this board is going to be a beat down.
Very rarely will you find a bull that more than a few if any will like. With that said there are not many of us that are running the high dollar bulls that you see all dressed up in the catalogs.
Most are just running a bull that will improve their herd, and selling pounds anyhow.

Also I dont have a problem buying a bull this young, IF you can see him on the farm WITH his dam.
Most forget the cow is half the deal.
So two questions, do you have a pic of the cow?
Also do you have a back shot of the second bull?
The 90lb auctual BW is a slight turn off, but I could get past it if his dam and sire just knocked me out.

MD

152 beats 76 hands down. 76 I would steer. I see enough substance lacking in one pic of 76 to say CULL, CULL, CULL. I need more pics of 152; though I like what I see of his depth of rib and what appears to be thickness.

I jsut don;t see how you can really tell anything about a calf at 7 months. That's when we make our decisions on keeping replacements or not, but aqt a year we make the final decision.

dun

dun":2gokocp2 said:
I jsut don;t see how you can really tell anything about a calf at 7 months. That's when we make our decisions on keeping replacements or not, but aqt a year we make the final decision.

dun

The top one (#76) is ten months old. I am not sold on the bottom one; but he beats the top one even if they were the same age. Like ALACOWMAN says he is awfully feminine looking; but 76 is showing me nothing to make me think he is a herd bull. The 7 month calf has already caught up with him and will EASILY surpass him in a couple of months.

warpaint":18pwb4zu said:
Continue the search, Cypress.
Neither one cranks my tractor. ;-)

I hate it when the tractor wont crank!

Paint, I got rid of the young black bull you saw, and thought I'd replace him with some color to make baldies. The search continues......

cypressfarms":108kgwtj said:
warpaint":108kgwtj said:
Continue the search, Cypress.
Neither one cranks my tractor. ;-)

I hate it when the tractor wont crank!

Paint, I got rid of the young black bull you saw, and thought I'd replace him with some color to make baldies. The search continues......

Another good decision, lil buddy.

Latest posts