Pic of new bull

Help Support CattleToday:

rob2

Reaction score
been a couple years since I tried to post a pic on the forum...but here it goes

DSCF2230.JPG

Picked him up the 4th of December. he's about 18 months old - out of an Objective son.

rob2

thanks. I like him o.k. I don't think he's a standout bull - but he seems pretty solid overall. going to be a change looking over the pastures next fall at all the 1/2 blood calves.

rob2

rob2-

I am sure that you will be very satisfied with the Phenotype as well as the balanced traits and characteristics that cross will provide for you.

One suggestion: with the Braunvieh milk influence in the cross, if you retain heifers, you don't need to use a bull with high Milk EPD's on the heifers. That will have a genetic tendency to lower BW, lower CED, but also reduce hindquarter depth and thickness on your future progeny phenotype. High Milk EPDs (over 27 - 30) are NOT as desirable as some breeders are attempting to tell you! This is one reason that I continue to "yammer" to everyone about BALANCING the mating traits and characteristics, and NOT concentrate on SINGLE TRAIT SELECTION!!!! Milk EPD's ranging up in the 30's and even 40's is not desirable for a well- BALANCED genetic result on the progeny. Can I make the justification of that method of BALANCED THINKING any plainer??

rob2 - I am sure that you already know the above suggestion with your experience with the Braunvieh breed. However, if you are seeking high milk production in your cross bred herd, that is another story. But for BEEF production - watch the high Milk EPD's.

DOC HARRIS

He is a nice bull, good capacity, looks very sound, good hip, masculine. His weak point is his loin, it would be interesting to know what he scanned for REA compared to the test group. I know I'm picking fleas, but he is in very good condition and he is a little flat over the loin, it's not going to improve as he gets into his working clothes.

KNERSIE":9vwwgadt said:
He is a nice bull, good capacity, looks very sound, good hip, masculine. His weak point is his loin, it would be interesting to know what he scanned for REA compared to the test group. I know I'm picking fleas, but he is in very good condition and he is a little flat over the loin, it's not going to improve as he gets into his working clothes.

thanks for the critique Knersie. hope to get a better pick of him to share with you all. I may have looked past his loin when picking him out - as I thought he looked pretty decent overall....after I read your post and while checking on stuff this morning - I looked him over with your thoughts in mind. Although I admit I don't have your "eye" I think he's pretty solid in the loin.

I had some decent pasture to put him on with the cows. he's actually put on weight since I got him - and he's been very active with the cows. hopefully he'll prove to be easy fleshing and pass that trait on to his calves.

I hated like heck not having numbers and scan data to back him up, but I wasn't coming up with a registered bull that looked anything like what I wanted. I did find one that would have fit the bill, but he brought 15K at the auction.

The guy I bought him off of is a local who runs commercial cows with Gardiner Angus bulls. They have a history, and rock solid reputation for quality commercial angus in our area. we have also purchased quite a few open heifers from them that we were very pleased with.

I guess in about 23-24 months i'll find out first-hand how his REA is...and i'll probably learn that you were right. :tiphat:

rob2

Latest posts