Phenotype?

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
With a group of ET calves.... say you get 10 calves from the mating, all bulls. Some bulls are better phenotype than others, like confirmation. The better "looking" bulls are higher priced than the others, but say 1/2 as much. Obviously you're getting the same genetics into your calf crop, but does the difference in the "looks" also affect the calf crop? :roll:

If I'm understanding your question correctly, I would have to respond with a resounding YES. Bloodlines say a lot about an animal - but if the conformation is not there then they are worthless, IMHO. I don't see why an ET calf would be appraised (or handled) any differently than a calf that was sired by a herd bull, or AI - poor conformation is poor conformation, and it it entirely inheritable.

I think I understand... the problem is that even if the genotype is close, it is not identical. The only way you would know if you have the group of genes you want is if you see it (the phenotype). Without the traits you can see, you might get a a good hidden trait or you may not have any good traits. Thats why it would be very risky just to buy the genes without seeing the traits.

Even though two animals are "genetically the same" i.e. the same dam and sire, each individual animal gets half of its genes from the mother and half from the father now which genes make up each half varies animal to animal. We flushed a half charolais half angus cow to a solid black club calf bull and ended up with one red calf and a bunch of blacks so even though they were the same genetics the expression of the genes varied. Just like you might see two brothers where one is 6 foot 6 and 275 lbs. and his brother is 6 foot 185 lbs.

However sometimes you have a phenotypically inferior animal with superior genetics that might be better than the other way around if the phenotypicaly inferior animal produces better quality progeny. Certain cow families will transmit quality better than others no matter if the individual is somewhat inferior.

Sometimes animals have been foundered or hurt by outside circumstances that were not natural thus their progeny will still be supieror.

This is axactly the reason I don;t get all jazzed up about flush mates. It's no different then breeding the same cow to the same bull every year. Some years you hit a home run, some you strike out but on average you'll at least get on base. Excuse the baseball analogy!

Steer the ones that aren't up to snuff! I've had to do it, and it sucks, big time. Well worth it in the long run, and you might be able to get some carcass data to go on the epd's of the ones that were kept.

Sizmic

Thanks Angus.. you understood what I was trying to ask!

Sorry it wasn't clear.. you know how us geriatrics are sometimes. :roll:

Latest posts