Phenotype, your favorite bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

I will also be using hickok this spring. I've yet to hear one negative word about him. I'd love to see him in person, but his picture sure is impressive

darcelina4 said:
Am I missing something here? The yearling picture and the mature pictures are clearly two different bulls as the face markings are different.

The picture is of two different sides. That happens a lot in picturing cattle. They flip the picture so it is the same direction, but it is the opposite side of his face. Notice the brand on his one side (yearling photo, HPF brand) and not in his mature photo?

bhooper said:
Ebenezer said:

Good looking bull. Is he yours?
No but just had a heifer calf by him. I would tell you that he was from KY but he does not look fleshy enough and the land is not steep as ski slopes! :lol: :roll: :shock: But sure enough, he was. A line cross of two lines I use. Daughters are quite functional. But for me, a trial and a tool.

bse said:
i dont know anything about those bulls, but ive questioned animals in sale books before, they turn the picture around so they face the same way in the book, the ones ive questioned have all been the same, when you look at the live animal from the other side.

You're right, I hadn't considered that. Makes sense.

************* said:
My vote is for Bubs Southern Charm

I am really curious as to what makes this bulls phenotype so appealing.

W.B. said:
************* said:

With all due respect, if you don't see the desirability of Bubs Southern Charm, then Angus might not be for you. This guy was blessed in the phenotype gene pool.

W.B. said:
************* said:

I am curious too, to me he lacks rump and is unbalanced. His shoulder is to straight. Feet so obviously hidden. I would have to see this bull in person or calves on the ground before i would use him.

Redgully said:
W.B. said:
************* said:

I am curious too, to me he lacks rump and is unbalanced. His shoulder is to straight. Feet so obviously hidden. I would have to see this bull in person or calves on the ground before i would use him.
I concure! I really dislike his front third...He could be any other breed and I still would pass on him based on this photo. :hide:

Some I really like by the way they look...
S31041.jpg

Nighingale-El-Paso.jpg

bruce.jpg

columbo.jpg

Boot Jack Bulls said:
Redgully said:
W.B. said:

I concure! I really dislike his front third...He could be any other breed and I still would pass on him based on this photo. :hide:

What would you guys say is a "top bull" for phenotype? I'm curious.

Charles Herbster, who could buy any bull that he desires, in fact multiple bulls and females at the same time that are routinely in the mid to high 6 figure range, really likes this bull, so much so that he purchased him. Charles Herbster could buy a $20 million dollar bull if he wanted to and never miss the money. I think Charles knows a couple of things about Angus cattle. He has been gracious enough to speak with me on several occasions and I can tell you that the man knows cattle, period! He's a boss in the Angus business. He's got my complete respect.

You guys act in a manner that if Warren Buffett gave you a sure-fire stock pick, you would go and buy something else just to spite him, and say "old Warren thinks he is hot sh..t because he's probably the most successful billionaire investor in history, but I ain't impressed one bit, that's why I'm putting my money in Sears stock, now there's a winner!"

Do you think someone with his knowledge and connections would get involved with a bull whose "feet are so OBVIOUSLY hidden" or "lacks rump and is unbalanced"? I'm not discounting what you are saying, or saying that your concerns don't matter, but I'm trying to get to the root of the issue. I doubt he bought that bull off the internet. I'm sure he looked it over completely and then repeated that a few times.

I've found a trend on CT that Angus bulls in particular, are always full of "issues" and members say things like "I wouldn't give you a nickel for him" It really sounds like a bunch of haters. I feel it's safe to say that if Bubs Southern Charm was on the farm of most members of CT that they would treat that bull better than their wife and kids, heck they would probably halter it and take it with them to the feed store to show him off, then bring him back home and tuck him to bed in two feet of straw. Cmon, guys! I know for a fact there is not a single Angus bull in the breed that y'all wouldn't tear apart.

************* said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
Redgully said:

Charles Herbster, who could buy any bull that he desires, in fact multiple bulls and females at the same time that are routinely in the mid to high 6 figure range, really likes this bull, so much so that he purchased him. Charles Herbster could buy a $20 million dollar bull if he wanted to and never miss the money. I think Charles knows a couple of things about Angus cattle. He has been gracious enough to speak with me on several occasions and I can tell you that the man knows cattle, period! He's a boss in the Angus business. He's got my complete respect.

You guys act in a manner that if Warren Buffett gave you a sure-fire stock pick, you would go and buy something else just to spite him, and say "old Warren thinks he is hot sh..t because he's probably the most successful billionaire investor in history, but I ain't impressed one bit, that's why I'm putting my money in Sears stock, now there's a winner!"

Do you think someone with his knowledge and connections would get involved with a bull whose "feet are so OBVIOUSLY hidden" or "lacks rump and is unbalanced"? I'm not discounting what you are saying, or saying that your concerns don't matter, but I'm trying to get to the root of the issue. I doubt he bought that bull off the internet. I'm sure he looked it over completely and then repeated that a few times.

I've found a trend on CT that Angus bulls in particular, are always full of "issues" and members say things like "I wouldn't give you a nickel for him" It really sounds like a bunch of haters. I feel it's safe to say that if Bubs Southern Charm was on the farm of most members of CT that they would treat that bull better than their wife and kids, heck they would probably halter it and take it with them to the feed store to show him off, then bring him back home and tuck him to bed in two feet of straw. Cmon, guys! I know for a fact there is not a single Angus bull in the breed that y'all wouldn't tear apart.

I'm really liking his offspring. I don't have any on the ground personally but loving them in catalogues. I stand behind Herbster but you may have oversold him on a 20 million dollar bull. Cuz... he's still a smart investor and nobody in their right mind would spend that much.
But I mean, if he's reading this... I have a 20 million dollar bull he could take a look at. Lol.

************* said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
Redgully said:

You are missing the point. If I had that guys money, that particular bull wouldn't be my choice. It has nothing to do with who owns him or any of that. I'm sure there are some I like that Mr Herbster does not. I will be the first to admit that my bulls have flaws. In fact, to my knowledge, the perfect bovine has yet to be created. The beauty of the thing is, we can use whichever we chose! There is just no point in getting butt hurt because we don't agree with a particular assessment.

Boot Jack Bulls said:
************* said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
You are missing the point. If I had that guys money, that particular bull wouldn't be my choice. It has nothing to do with who owns him or any of that. I'm sure there are some I like that Mr Herbster does not. I will be the first to admit that my bulls have flaws. In fact, to my knowledge, the perfect bovine has yet to be created. The beauty of the thing is, we can use whichever we chose! There is just no point in getting butt hurt because we don't agree with a particular assessment.

No harm done, I just think Bubs Southern Charm is a very good specimen and I was trying to find out what irked you guys about him.

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:

I stand behind Herbster but you may have oversold him on a 20 million dollar bull. Cuz... he's still a smart investor and nobody in their right mind would spend that much.
But I mean, if he's reading this... I have a 20 million dollar bull he could take a look at. Lol.

I said $20 million as an example, what I meant to say is that money really isn't an object for Charles Herbster when it comes to acquiring the best. I absolutely know that he is an astute businessman and investor. Hence my case for Southern Charm.

************* said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:

No harm done, I just think Bubs Southern Charm is a very good specimen and I was trying to find out what irked you guys about him.

I asked the question what do you find appealing about Southern Charm? Never got an answer. What I think of the bull matters nothing. I want to know the bulls strengths. I kinda figured out his weaknesses on my own. Breeding cattle is a progression. Takes a lot of time to get it right I don't like making huge mistakes. Who owns the bull is merely a reflection of how much promotion he is going to receive. By the way the 2ft of straw in the video is not an accident merely a way to accentuate his positives.

W.B. said:
************* said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:

I asked the question what do you find appealing about Southern Charm? Never got an answer. What I think of the bull matters nothing. I want to know the bulls strengths. I kinda figured out his weaknesses on my own. Breeding cattle is a progression. Takes a lot of time to get it right I don't like making huge mistakes. Who owns the bull is merely a reflection of how much promotion he is going to receive. By the way the 2ft of straw in the video is not an accident merely a way to accentuate his positives.

Since this is a "phenotype" only thread. I like the initial impression he delivers on my subconscious. Trump says he does everything from the gut. Well my gut says "wow" upon first impression. It's like when someone sees the opposite sex and are attracted immediately, versus having to sit an look at that person several times over trying to justify something.

Southern Charm looks like he is large and in charge. An "alpha" type bull in my book.

Here he is on Youtube and he still looks amazing. Like a tank. Arrow straight back, muscle to spare, and the list goes on.

https://youtu.be/BWsmCwD_U1g

************* said:
W.B. said:
************* said:

Since this is a "phenotype" only thread. I like the initial impression he delivers on my subconscious. Trump says he does everything from the gut. Well my gut says "wow" upon first impression. It's like when someone sees the opposite sex and are attracted immediately, versus having to sit an look at that person several times over trying to justify something.

Southern Charm looks like he is large and in charge. An "alpha" type bull in my book.

Here he is on Youtube and he still looks amazing. Like a tank. Arrow straight back, muscle to spare, and the list goes on.

https://youtu.be/BWsmCwD_U1g
You gave me no real assessment of the bull. Take the straw away and look at the angle of hock to the ground. Like I said the straw isn't an accident. I have looked at progeny videos and he is passing this trait on to his calves. The bull is sickle hocked. If you like that he is a stud.

Latest posts