Pheasant recipe needed

Help Support CattleToday:

I've never eaten pheasant but if it is anything like cornish hen then I'd suggest brining them in Dale's Steak Sauce for about three hours then smoking them at no more than 300F till done. The flavor you get from this is just amazing. In fact, my son was hitting me up just tonight about cooking some more.

We always made pheasent and dumplings. Just like chicken and dumplings but changed the bird.

Go to this link and scroll down there are 178 recipies there. For my money it's hard to beat Pheasant Picatta. Just google chicken picatta and substitute pheasant. The legs and thys can be slow cooked with butter, sage, and white wine to make a Confit.

http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxphe.html

As they are deboned how about stuffing them and then roasting. As I recall you stuff the pheasant with a mix of bacon/pork sausage, bread crumbs, onions and herbs and sew it up. You then wrap the bird with bacon strips, pop in oven and baste every now and then. Quantities of ingredients and cooking time I would have to look up if you are interested. I also have two very nice sauces that compliment game, one a Balsamic vinegar and the other a creamy lemon wine kinda sauce.

alisonb":3vyr3b9g said:
As they are deboned how about stuffing them and then roasting. As I recall you stuff the pheasant with a mix of bacon/pork sausage, bread crumbs, onions and herbs and sew it up. You then wrap the bird with bacon strips, pop in oven and baste every now and then. Quantities of ingredients and cooking time I would have to look up if you are interested. I also have two very nice sauces that compliment game, one a Balsamic vinegar and the other a creamy lemon wine kinda sauce.

Let's hear, I have a few kudu steaks in the fridge.

I would use the balsamic vinegar sauce for the kudu and the creamy one for the pheasant-

Balsamic
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove pureed
1 small onion pureed
1/4 cup stock
1 Tbsp red wine
sprig rosemary
black pepper + salt
1 Tbsn corn starch

Add all ingredient(except corn starch) to a saucepan and heat then remove rosemary and thicken with corn starch.
Be careful not to smother the steak as sauce could be overpowering.

Creamy sauce
1 cup fresh cream/sour cream
1 small onion pureed
1 clove garlic pureed
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup white wine
dash worcestershire sauce
2 cups sliced mushrooms
salt + black pepper
sage/thyme
dash paprika
corn starch

Add all ingredients to saucepan(except cream and starch), bring to the boil. Then stir in cream and thicken with starch if necessary. If you fancy it any richer you can add a little grated gruyere cheese.

Thank you Alison. Have you ever tried Willow Creek's Cabernet Sauvignon Balsamic vinegar? It's pricey, but beautiful, so much better than anything you typically get in the supermarkets.

Alison those sound really good ,especially the balsamic one. I usually always make a white wine sauce or cheese sauce so that one will be a good change up .. What kind of stock do you use, I am assuming a beef stock ?

Harley, I didn't even know you could get balsamic in different grape varieties, will definitely check out the specialty store and see if they have a Cabernet Sauvignon .

Have some sirloin steaks that the balsamic sauce will finish off nicely. :D

Creamy South Dakota Pheasant

Ingredients

Directions

» 6 pheasant breast fillets
» 1/2 cup flour
» 1/2 cup milk or cream
» salt & pepper to taste
» 1/4 cup crisco or vegetable oil (less if you like)
» 1 sm. can cream of chicken or mushroom soup

(gravy lovers double this)

Combine flour, salt, & pepper. Coat breasts with flour mixture. Brown floured fillets in heated crisco until golden on both sides. Place fillets in greased baking dish in single layer. Combine soup & milk to pour over browned fillets. Bake covered 2 hours at 325ºF. Serve with mashed potatoes, and you'll have enough gravy to use on potatoes.

Note: Don't throw pheasant legs and thighs away. Boil them in water for an hour or so (until tender). Let cool, then remove meat from bone and use in soups or hot dishes. May be substituted for chicken in chicken soups or hot dishes.

Looked it up and found it for you. I do a lot of pheasent hunting and this is the best recipe I have found that I really like besides using them in soup. Pheasent wild rice soup is also deliciouse,

iowafarmer":389l9q0z said:
Creamy South Dakota Pheasant

Ingredients

Directions

» 6 pheasant breast fillets
» 1/2 cup flour
» 1/2 cup milk or cream
» salt & pepper to taste
» 1/4 cup crisco or vegetable oil (less if you like)
» 1 sm. can cream of chicken or mushroom soup

(gravy lovers double this)

Combine flour, salt, & pepper. Coat breasts with flour mixture. Brown floured fillets in heated crisco until golden on both sides. Place fillets in greased baking dish in single layer. Combine soup & milk to pour over browned fillets. Bake covered 2 hours at 325ºF. Serve with mashed potatoes, and you'll have enough gravy to use on potatoes.

Note: Don't throw pheasant legs and thighs away. Boil them in water for an hour or so (until tender). Let cool, then remove meat from bone and use in soups or hot dishes. May be substituted for chicken in chicken soups or hot dishes.

Looked it up and found it for you. I do a lot of pheasent hunting and this is the best recipe I have found that I really like besides using them in soup. Pheasent wild rice soup is also deliciouse,

I knew that one was coming................don't be offended but I don't think pheasant is cooked any other way in SD. BTW what you describe with the legs is similar to my Confit but definately not as tasty.

hillsdown":3fga5qut said:
Alison those sound really good ,especially the balsamic one. I usually always make a white wine sauce or cheese sauce so that one will be a good change up .. What kind of stock do you use, I am assuming a beef stock ?

Harley, I didn't even know you could get balsamic in different grape varieties, will definitely check out the specialty store and see if they have a Cabernet Sauvignon .

Not sure whether its a global thing or more of a sales gimmick on the estate's part, but its definately worth it, its not nearly as acidic as the cheaper ones. I only found out the other day that you also get a white balsamic vinegar, never have seen on though.

Vic, do you use duckfat to make the confit?

KNERSIE":3ei8od2j said:
hillsdown":3ei8od2j said:

Not sure whether its a global thing or more of a sales gimmick on the estate's part, but its definately worth it, its not nearly as acidic as the cheaper ones. I only found out the other day that you also get a white balsamic vinegar, never have seen on though.

Vic, do you use duckfat to make the confit?

No I use butter! Even tho i work for a foodservie it's easier to use butter.

hillsdown":1av4k0uj said:
What kind of stock do you use, I am assuming a beef stock ?
Beef or venison is good. If you are not too fond of raw onion and garlic omit it from the recipe. Let me know what your taste buds think....

KNERSIE":1av4k0uj said:
Thank you Alison. Have you ever tried Willow Creek's Cabernet Sauvignon Balsamic vinegar? It's pricey, but beautiful, so much better than anything you typically get in the supermarkets.
No I haven't, will have to look out for it :D . I use BV of Modena, (3 leaves 8 stars) it's sorta in the middle when it comes to grading, acidity level of 6%. How does Willow Creek's compare with that?
I've heard that white BV is not true BV but actually more a white grape vinegar that has been flavoured rather than gone through the slow ageing process as has the red. I have yet to taste it.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Looks like we might have cooler weather coming this weekend where a hot meal might taste better. Appreciate it!

Latest posts