Pha parent verified calf, commonly called "bulldog&quot

Help Support CattleToday:

dvcattleco

Reaction score
This is a calf we had last weekend. The dam is fine, of course the calf was DOA. This calf was sent to Dr. Dave Steffens at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. Where it helped tremendously in the study of the genetic fault named PHA in the Maine Anjou bloodline. Dna from the sire, dam and calf were then all sent to Dr. Beever in Illinois. I know the pictures are a bit graphic, but wanted to open a few eyes out there in the "Clubby" programs. I do have a list of PHA and TH bulls if anyone is interested or can not find them on the internet. Also If anyone has seen this or know of others who have please let us know.

http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto ... mit/recent

WOW! it really does look like a bulldog!
thats really interesting. thanks for sharing!
its a lot bigger than i expected.
sorry about that, but thanks for posting!

~

What is that slit by its ear ? in the first photo.

Is the small round impression above the nose its eye ?

How much did it weigh ?

Was it a difficult birth ?

Sorry for your loss.

Thank you for the very educational photos.

Never seen one like this.

i think the slit is the eye socket and the round thing is a just a spot or something.

also curious about how easily that big ol' head came out.

~

The back looks like it wasn't formed.

Was it opened up when it was born ?

Can you walk us through the whole length of the calf and explain what everything is.

Very curious.

Wish we could get on a conference call.
I got LOTS of questions.

dvcattleco said:
Dna from the sire, dam and calf were then all sent to Dr. Beever in Illinois.

Sure looks like a "bulldog" calf to me (some Dexters carry this lethal gene).

Is Dr. Beever still around? Genetic testing is available through the ADCA with Bova-Can Laboratories, which, I believe, is the only lab licensed for the chondrodysplasia DNA test.

Wow. Graphic. Poor thing! That is a real education. Thanks.

Well, I will try to explain the best I can. When my 10 yr old daughter came to me and said Red cow needed to come in the barn, she thought she was pushing to calve, I noticed something a bit wrong. (3 weeks early) She was trying to urinate, and not too much other then mucus was coming out. After a while we thought it was a breach and reached in to check the position. Dew claws up and a tail. The rump felt like a water balloon giving to pressure. I thought it was the water bag or placenta, but followed the leg up and knew it was her bum. I knew something was wrong from the get go. The cannon bones in our full term healthy calves measure 12-14 inches… This felt like a really small calf or dwarf. They later measured 6 inches. I figured breach calf, relatively small, get her out no trouble.
After trying to hook up the O.B. chains with no feet on the outs, my hubby and I knew it was still born after no movement. Thank goodness it was! We tried to almost an hour just to get the bum and tail out. It was by far the hardest pull we have ever done. When the back legs finally showed, the right hock was swollen to the size of football. We thought the only thing that could be making the pull this hard is 2 heads or some other major genetic freak. The cow had plenty of room, but the calf would not budge. Needless to say, after a friend showed up, yes the back bone broke and the calf split. You would not believe the amount of fluid that came out when she broke.
The mis-shaped back hooves were result of the pull, the hoof caps popped off, and we had to move the chains to above the hock. The bubbles or nodes around the flanks or udder area were from the water retention, these were full and swelled before it broke, making her look twice as big then she actually was. The weight of the calf was guessed to be about 70 if it was normal. The vet estimated with the fluid if she would not have broke, she would have been well over 150-175# PHA if you have not had a chance to read up on it is a genetic fault in the lymphatic system. Thus meaning a normal calf fetus will expel water or fluids in the cow… This one did not.
This is not a "Bulldog Calf" it has been confirmed PHA. The swelling or retention of fluids is what has disfigured the face and head to look like a bull dog. When we broke the calf, we reached in again, and the front ½ felt like a monster, but no reason to worry about a freak, just large. We decided to call the vet for a c-section. It took a little under 2 hours for him to get there. During this time the cow was pushing and the contractions helped compress what fluid was trapped in the front ½ of the calf to leak from the break. Dr. finally showed up, instructed us to pull the back ½ free so he could try to spin the calf to come out nose first. Avoiding a c-section at all costs if possible. The cow was able to get the calf shrunk down enough that it finally passed when we tried to get the back ½ broke lose. This is the second calf like this for this year our vet has seen, and the 5th that Dr. Beever has seen out of the same clubby bull.
When we took the calf to Dr. Steffins in Lincoln, he opened the chest cavity and explained a normal operating lymphatic system in a new born calf would have lungs the size of a grown mans hand… this calf's lungs were the size of my thumb. He knew right away it was PHA and not bulldog. I asked why the face was so mis shaped… he cut deep along the neck where the swelling was still prominent. Slight pressure and the fluid just poured out as if you were wringing out a sponge. The facial bones are normal in this calf, This is totally different form a bulldog calf, as this calf never had a chance, 99% of them are aborted or stillborn. If they do happen to be alive, the lack of development in the lungs is terminal. The tissue on the head is just swelled. Causing people to think it is a bulldog. As for the spots on the head, this is caused when the calf is in the womb and has died a few days before birth, the hair starts to slough off. The slit by the ear is in fact the eye, it just looks like it got in a fight with Mike Tyson.
Yes, Dr. Beever is licensed to do the testing as is Dr. Steffins. Dr Beever has developed a test for the TH gene, but to this date he has not come up with a test for PHA, This calf getting to them will help further the study as in the past they only have gotten organs and tissue. Hopefully soon we can look foreward to a test for this also!
I'm sorry for such a long post, I hope I answered a lot of questions. If I haven't, please feel free to ask! I'll do the best I can to answer them. I just hope to open some eyes and save others from having to go through this same thing.

Wow... very informative post and photos... thanks for sharing! Learn something new every day!

And of course, the name of the bull would be appreciated! It's a shame that so many get caught up in the show world that a bull carrying this genetic defect would be allowed to sire calves!

Sorry for your loss.. but I commend you for taking the time to take the calf in for an expert opinion!

This is a few really good articals to read, the second one gives the names of pha bulls. The bull we used was Paddy o'mally, which is a son of Irish Whisky and the cow was a Draftpick grand daughter. It all goes back to the Epinal lines. To date, Mojo is the only bull that is known to carry both Th and Pha. Dr. Beever said the list is longer, but wont be updated for another month or so when the affected calves stop pouring in.

http://www.chicattle.org/chiperformance.html

http://www.sekgenetics.com/controller/c ... on=default

then click: 06 Spring Update.pdf

We have spent 2 weeks researching this, but I am not a vet... I am just passing the info the Dr.'s we have been working with have given us. Dont get me wrong, A friend seen 30 Paddy o'mally calves from one herd, and said they were really nice looking clubby's. But the cows were Angus.

Speaking of, We have some Maine anjou's for sale...cheap...lol

Ya have to laugh sometime, or you will never quit crying!

That must have been a terrible experience for your family. Hopefully, the breeds involved will get started weeding out the carriers.

Thanks for sharing so much information...I know it can be difficult to share such a negative experience...and thanks, also, for providing more info on it. It sure is tough to anxiously await a new calf and have a disaster (I also think it's hard on the cow to lose a calf)...we had one "bulldog" calf from one of our Dexters a few years ago and rearranged our breeding program. You're to be commended on informing all of us about something that can happen. Sure hope you have a few good ones coming up and will share them too!

~

I can't thank you enough for sharing all this eye opening information.

You are to be commended for donating this calf for further research and taking time and energy from your hectic day to transport it to the appropriate professionals.

You answered every single question I had on my "list" here.
I sat on the edge of my chair with my nose inches away from the screen and devoured every word of your very visual "tour."

This whole posting was a "wow."

I posted this on another thread, but thought I'd put some input on this one as well. I am working on finding the defect causing PHA in Dr. Beever's lab. To the original poster I got your e-mail. Thank you! and thank you for sending in samples. I'm pretty sure that your calf is on my template that I'm using for mapping.
I need to point out one common misconception. These PHA calves are NOT your dexter bulldog calves. It is something completely different. The PHA calves are characterized by pulmonary hypoplasia. Basically if you crack open the chest the lungs are almost completely absent. The edema or swelling is probably a secondary condition to the absent lungs. It's hard to get passed that though because the calves look so horrible. The amount of edema varies, we've had calves reported to weight between 150-280 lbs.
Right now we are in the mapping phase of the research, trying to find the gene that is mutated. Once that is complete it shouldn't take very long to find the mutation and develop a diagnostic.
I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone might have. Unfortunately due to confidentiality I cannot divulge any information about carrier animals unless they have parentally verified calves and are listed on the appropriate breed associations website. I will mention that there are quite a few double carriers.

Latest posts