Calf Muddying the waters

Help Support CattleToday:

A.J.

Reaction score
I had to apologize to the dogs. I blamed them for jumping in the water trough and making a mess. I have some calves up to wean, and this steer evidently likes to take a dip and is getting him a spot wallered out. He's been doing this the last few days. Guess he saw some of the neighbors cows in their pond and figured it was a good idea.

354F6A77-1601-41FD-9382-0BE6411C657C.jpeg

There's always one. Usually stick their muddy feet in the round bale feeder too, and then crawl in it and crap all over the hay. Sometimes they get sold as a single just to lower my blood pressure.

I had to apologize to the dogs. I blamed them for jumping in the water trough and making a mess. I have some calves up to wean, and this steer evidently likes to take a dip and is getting him a spot wallered out. He's been doing this the last few days. Guess he saw some of the neighbors cows in their pond and figured it was a good idea.

View attachment 7174
That's annoying.

Is he on endophyte fescue? Fescue cattle sometimes like to stand in ponds and streams. Sometimes they stand in mud holes or water tubs.

Is he on endophyte fescue? Fescue cattle sometimes like to stand in ponds and streams. Sometimes they stand in mud holes or water tubs.
Yep. We're mostly fescue around here. His fur is a little thicker than the other calves, so he stays hotter than the others.

Latest posts