Pet Deer

Help Support CattleToday:

upfrombottom

Reaction score
I have gotten a few e-mails and PMs about my avatar and want to say a few things about it here.
PET.jpg

This doe's name is Dosie. She was actually raised by a neighbor but was never penned so everybody in the area had a hand in raising her. She is 1 1/2 years now and she runs with the wild deer that are here. I see her almost everyday for a week and then I won't see her again for a month sometimes. Back in February we had an ice storm and some idiot ran over my mail box and destroyed it. I built a new post and was digging a hole for it and when I got finished, I leaned up against the fence to rest a spell. She snuck up behind me and stuck her nose in my ear, I nearly jumped over the entire road. I took the picture with my phone when I settled down.

She is very friendly and will let anyone pet her. She wears a orange collar so the hunters will leave her alone. Her favorite food is corn flakes (gave her a stale box once and have been buying her one every since) and I feed her when I see her. She also loves azaleas and keeps mine trimmed. I raised a buck deer a few years back and he got a little aggressive but she is like a kitten. It is not uncommon to see her with 5 or 6 other deer and it's kind of funny when the other deer run and she stands there trying to figure out why. I have a pasture about a 1/2 mile from here and have even seen her there twice, and she always comes up so I can pet her.

It is not illegal here to raise wildlife and people do it all the time but there is a limit to the number of each species you can legally keep. Disease control is the reason for that. When my kids were young they had all kinds. Each spring as the deer are birthing and wheat harvest is going on, there are many orphaned or abandoned deer found in the fields during the harvest. Many are killed because their instinct tells them to lay completely still and they are very hard to see from the inside of a dusty combine in 3 ft. tall wheat. Mother deer love to use the wheat fields to have their young and ,yes, sometimes the mother will come back to retrieve them; but, if they are real young most times its the coyotes that get them because they are vulnerable when left out in the open in the middle of a field.

Try feeding her some Sweet Tarts candy. They become addicted to that and will follow you around with their nose in your pocket. My brother raised a buck fawn and fed it sweet tarts. It would pester you to death if it saw anything glittery / shiney in your hands it would think it was the foil around a sleeve of sweet tarts. It would be 300 yards out in the pasture and if you waved a sleeve of sweet tarts in the air it would come on a dead run. It slept on the carport in a big dog bed next to their weener dog. He spray painted the antlers orange to keep hunters from shooting it. It never had a large rack because he banded it as a fawn so it never got bigger than a forky.

HOSS said:
Try feeding her some Sweet Tarts candy. They become addicted to that and will follow you around with their nose in your pocket.

Funny you mention that. There is a candy plant in Waco ( I think its Mars) and some fellows I know buy some " slag" from them
in the fall. It comes in a @30lb drum and they use it as deer candy on a lease. They say it works really well.

She is really a cute one.
Now I have the urge to sing that old childhood song,
"Doe, a deer, a female deer......
A nice way to start the day! Thanks for sharing.

Hate to interupt the lovefest but I wouldn't think any more of killing a deer than I would a rat. They're varmints of the worst kind.

ga.prime":3qyn7f7s said:
Hate to interupt the lovefest but I wouldn't think any more of killing a deer than I would a rat. They're varmints of the worst kind.
How is rat jerky?

ga.prime":1kvc929e said:
we raised a buck a few years ago ---use to come in the house for his bottle ---but man after they get a little older they sure can stink
But I agree with you---since they brought in gun control here in canada --we aren't haveing many young hunters and deer are becomeing quite a problem---my family have wrecked about 5 vehicals in the last 6 years with them---in some of the small towns they have to put up fences to keep them out ---they are ;in some cases quieter than my cows
also canada geese use to go way up north to nest --now their nesting on my dugout-Kind of nice first couple years-- but this year about 35 were hatched And they come back to nest where they were born ---imagine those big feet banging around on a swath of grain --and all the crap they leave behind --I haven't seen a goose hunter for years ----to many people grew up with walt disneys version of wild life

Latest posts