Finally got a deer

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Been out numerous times - haven't seen any thing. Finally went out this afternoon and this little girl made the mistake of getting into my sights! Little yearling doe. Will be great eating - giving it to my sister in Rhode Island. Pays to get old - my nephew gutted it out for me and he is skinning it right now. I shoot a 243 Tikka T3 rifle or a Remington 1100 20 ga. (old, anniversary gift back in the 70's)

Good Going! I didn't go much this year. Had the freezers for the most part still full so wasn't much need of one. Neighbors shot the heck out of them though. Brother did kill a small eight to put in his. I'm ready to get the 22 lr out and knock some squirrels down.

Congrats!
Glad you were successful and hope you had fun!!
We are over run with them on our farm.
The neighbors got three in the back. But the biggest was from across the road from the house. A nice 5 x 5 that dressed out 245 with the skin off. A thick layer of fat all over.
Biggest whitetail I have seen in years.
They dropped off a bunch of steaks, sausages, and burger tonight.
Their freezer is full and he said I might as well have it as most of them came off of our place.
Got to like a neighbour like that!!!
Best to all.
Bez

Outstanding! I want chili....Please.
We are still empty handed. Last year they were everywhere. Had 3-8 deer every night around the property last year during the season. Have only seen a few this year, not while hunting. Saw a coyote while putting up the chickens up tonight. Have to find my 44 holster...

Luxurious deer! Congratulations on such a wonderful booty. Do you have any plans to cook from his meat?

@timwil94 - yes! There would be no need of killing a deer if we weren't going to eat it. We cut it up ourselves - make as many steaks as possible and some pot roasts and stew meat. I do not grind any of our venison. I don't like it and have plenty of my own hamburg.
@Bez That is a HUGE whitetail. My nephew that lives with me now got an 8 point that was huge for this area. Dressed 185#. It gets harder for me to convince myself to get dressed up & go out, but when I actually commit to going out, I absolutely love sitting in the tree stand. Didn't hardly go out and didn't get one last year - but we had gotten several the year before and still had some in freezer - so motivation wasn't very high. This year, I promised my sister I would get her one.
@wbvs58 Ken, LOL - coat is orange on inside. I just didn't turn it back around. No one is allowed to hunt this ground, so I "shouldn't" have to worry - but you know how that can be!
Just as nephew finished dressing my deer - another one came zipping by us. Looked like another yearling doe.

@timwil94 - yes! There would be no need of killing a deer if we weren't going to eat it. We cut it up ourselves - make as many steaks as possible and some pot roasts and stew meat. I do not grind any of our venison. I don't like it and have plenty of my own hamburg.
We don't grind any of the deer either. The wife cans all the odd ball pieces. I have survived on venison for years but never ate canned venison until I got married 5 years ago. It is an absolutely great way to go. We did grind about 90 pounds of meat off the elk I shot. That yearling cow elk is the real deal come dinner time.

Latest posts