Persistant BVD

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry to hear of your problems & probably loss of a bull!

Anything that might be inherited and/or caused by an infected sire or dam (after birth) is suspect that the breeder did not have a quality vaccination program in place and/or was not conscientious about having and maintaining herd quality and health.

In future (you probably already know this), insist on a vaccination and de-worming record from the seller as well as a Vet's health certiaficate (from a knowledgable reputable vet) prior to loading on you trailer. Then...if in doubt do the usual re-vaccinations, de-worming at your place while the animal(s) is/are in a quaranteened area.

People do dump problem animals (including sick ones) at the sale barn... :mad: And/or to unsuspecting buyers... :mad: Sale barn "health conditions" are like kid's school and/or hospital/clinic waiting room environments...you're bound to catch something you don't need.... ;-)

Yeah I know, this purchase was from a individual breeder that works as a vets assitant in North Florida, Like I keep saying will wait on results, talked to two vets today, and we will get to the bottom of this asap. I ask the questions first and shoot later, know what I mean.

I got a cert of health to carry with me, through the Agricultural check points, but if the animal does turn out to have this Pi bvd then it's not worth the ink the paper was writ on.
Just more hard luck at hard rock

Bez just a heads up I am tired and crabby this morning so if I come across as a you know what, it is not personal.
Rock was sold a bull by an unethical breeder and is doing everything in their power to make healthy an animal that should not have been sold to them in the first place. Does two wrongs make a right? No.
But why should they take a large finacial loss just because that breeder won't make good?
So who is really at fault for this bull even being out there? The breeder.
As for morals that other person had none where as Rock is coming across as an honest person.
Would this bull go to the food chain or would he go to the soap chain? Who is to say.
Rock has already said that they would tell the yard. After that it is up to the buyer whether or not they buy that bull. The auctioners out here will tell the buyers that the bull is for slaughter only. I don't know about where you are at, but you did talk about a red X on the cattle to show they are for slaughter only.
The desion is really up to Rock on what they do with this bull.
FYI we do not buy breeding stock out of an auction ring. Our neighbor learned that lesson the hard way. He got trich in his herd.
Rock I would talk to the AAA they really like the positive image they have gotten for the breed and may be able to help you deal with this breeder.
Good luck on your descion.

I am taking blood,ear,stool,& urine samples to be sent for testing on Monday.
Keeping my fingers crossed both hands.
Will keep everyone posted as soon as I know the results.
GOOD OR BAD.

I think you are doing the right thing testing the bull to find out what is wrong with him. You are also keeping him isolated, which is a must.
I don't know your breeder but would not be so quick to blame the breeder. How long have you had the bull? How old is he?
When you called the breeder what was the response? Did they just say tough titty or did they recommend testing and a vet? I would think a good breeder would be very interested in any bull they sold that had a health problem. It may not be the fault of the breeder but they should want to know in order to maintain their herd healthy.
I bred Angus and test my herd for several things, BVD included, every year just to make sure I don't sell a cow or bull that infects someone else's herd. And if I get a call about a sick animal I sold, I request they take it to the vet ASAP.
What you have described sounds like a respiratory but not BVD.

I have done no finger pointing, will wait till I get results.
I just asked for ways to determine causes.
It does'nt matter what they have said or not said, Need the results of test first. Then I will cross that bridge.
If the results are bad there's a Slow Train acoming & ya might want to step a side. Cause I'm building up full steam

Up here in ther great white north BVD must be reported to our CFIA in anual reports submited by the vets involved. There are consequences for those who don't and producers who fail to attempt rectify the problem. It is a slow and drawn out process but it is focused on getting a handel on it, not prosecution rarely is there is a problem with producers trying to get control of it.
As a Pb. breeder i am amazed how little others do in the animal health and customer service department. One bad report from a customer will haunt a PB guy for a while, simply say when asked that you would never buy a bull from that breeder again after your experience with them and leave it there. That will teach him that the PB business does not end when his bulls leave his yard. Believe me bad news travels faster than lightening. As for what to do with the bull wait for the tests. Personally i would take the hit and put him down and charge it up to a expensive lesson learned.

Sorry to hear about your bull. Any type of BVD is contagious. If your bull has it i would get some cows randomly tested because they could be unsuspecting carriers now and that spells BIG TROUBLE next calving season. Carriers shed the virus year round and shed it more while under stress. they shed the virus out of any hole in there body. Feces, nasal, saliva, etc. I can not express the trouble it can cause.

I would not keep ANY calves from him especially if the cows and bulls were not vaccinated with Modified live fetal protection vaccine three weeks prior to bull turn out.

Here in Manitoba Canada, the vets do seminars on BVD and protecting your herd.
If you keep these calves you run a huge huge risk of contaminating your herd.
BVD is very serious in a feed lot. What we don't realize as cow/calf is the $ lost by feedlots because of BVD. If a feedlot operator knows what feeders are dying and where they came from they will not buy them again and spread the word.

On our farm we buy only bulls that have been vaccinated as well as make sure that their dams were vaccinated prior to bull turn out with ML FP.
Our cows are vaccinated three weeks prior to turn out with modified live FP.
At the same time we vaccinate the current calf crop with the same with out the FP and then booster three weeks prior to weaning and shipping. At the same time the calves get dewormed (spring and fall).
Remeber to do the bulls the same time as the cows. What's good for the goose...
good luck and remember what you do now affects what happens a year now.

ROCK-N-W":2oiuw17j said:
I am taking blood,ear,stool,& urine samples to be sent for testing on Monday.
Keeping my fingers crossed both hands.
Will keep everyone posted as soon as I know the results.
GOOD OR BAD.

I sincerely hope they are good results.

PI BVD is a scarry thing to a cow/calf operator. Through the years, we have had random testing done on calves, thru Bull Test requirements & steers put on the Cornell Value Discovery Program - they are all tested.
We DNA test some cattle each year for the Black gene. This year, Igenity offered a "package deal". Got a free ear notch puncher for DNA testing instead of pulling hair. For $2.50 more, they test for BVD. We did 10 head this spring. We have used MLV for many, many years. But it's good to at least get a random sampling of your herd.
I really don't think AAA will do anything, but it doesn't hurt to TELL the breeder you will be notifying AAA.

The breeder you bought the bull from may not be at fault. Vaccines are not 100% effective, and a fetus may still be infected during gestation even if the cow was vaccinated. Also, unless the breeder makes a point of PI testing every calf and/or bull sold, he doesn't know if the bull is a PI animal.

I don't think I'd be blaming the breeder for selling a bad animal quite as fast as y'all are.

milkmaid":38vnuno0 said:
The breeder you bought the bull from may not be at fault. Vaccines are not 100% effective, and a fetus may still be infected during gestation even if the cow was vaccinated. Also, unless the breeder makes a point of PI testing every calf and/or bull sold, he doesn't know if the bull is a PI animal.

I don't think I'd be blaming the breeder for selling a bad animal quite as fast as y'all are.

Thanks, that's why I haven't driven up there and strangled the livin well you know the rest.Be Nice ;-) My old vet & friend called me Friday night. I had made arrangements to take my own samples to a lab myself Monday. But Somehow he got wind of my situation he came out of retirement and came to the Ranch today. We took six blood samples, three to send to University & three for his lab. Also we took two stool samples one to send lab & one for his microscope. We checked his eyes & mouth for lesions, we checked to see how fast his blood is congealing. He gave me four shots to go on top of what I have already givin him. He does not feel that it is BVD just from intial exam. x fingers. Some of the tests he said will take a few weeks & some only a few days. We took a drive through the herd & he said he was quite impressed with the quality & changes that I had made in the herd since the last time he was there. I used to work with him taking blood samples from ranchers for bangs testing and vaccinating for bangs, and none I repeat no other of my animals are showing any sign of being ill at all. and considering the draught conditions we are in. He thinks they look to be in pretty good shape and if the bull had bvd the rest of the herd would also be showing signs.
So we will wait and see. By the way He says the ear test is not conclusive & the results come back with a disclaimer at the bottom Still keeping my fingers X

Might be cryptospiridium-if it was BVD he would of been shot before the vet got out of the yard. I honestly feel BVD cost the Canadian cattleman more money than the whole BSE deal. BSE caused us to gush equity but BVD just lets money leak away every day it's not dealt with.

Just my two cents. Not contradicting what anyboyd else has said, but I think we have been lapse in not suggesting that you step up your antibiotic treatment. If I missed something Im sorry.

LA200 is an "OK" antibiotic, but way over rated. If you want to treat suspected BVD you need to go with Nuflor or Baytril. There is a reason you can get la200 at the store, but only a vet can give you Nuflor or Baytril. Your trying to treat a serious infection with OTC medications.

I know you already have ear snips going out to be tested and that will be the tell all, this post is just for future use.

3MR":1r392b1m said:
Just my two cents. Not contradicting what anyboyd else has said, but I think we have been lapse in not suggesting that you step up your antibiotic treatment. If I missed something Im sorry.

LA200 is an "OK" antibiotic, but way over rated. If you want to treat suspected BVD you need to go with Nuflor or Baytril. There is a reason you can get la200 at the store, but only a vet can give you Nuflor or Baytril. Your trying to treat a serious infection with OTC medications.

BVD stands for Bovine Viral Diarrhea... since antibiotics don't work on viruses, will treatment be effective at all in this situation?

Lots of talk about BVD.. but has anyone considered Johnes? I don't remember mentioning pnuemonia type symptoms.. aren't these prevelent with BVD?

milkmaid":zrulhcub said:
3MR":zrulhcub said:

BVD stands for Bovine Viral Diarrhea... since antibiotics don't work on viruses, will treatment be effective at all in this situation?

An antibiotic might help the symptoms. i.e. respiratory, lung infections, but certainly won't help for the BVD itself.

It's just putting off the inevitable...............

TheBullLady":1gxgem8g said:
Lots of talk about BVD.. but has anyone considered Johnes? I don't remember mentioning pnuemonia type symptoms.. aren't these prevelent with BVD?
BVD can effect the immune system and cause numerous problems. Once they have it they can sometimes come down with whatever is hottest in the area. It may look like one thing but be BVD as the real cause.

Latest posts