Perennial Winter forages

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
I know about annual winter forages that I can plant (rye, oats, etc.) but what about perennials? What is available? What is good? What is low management?

I guess I'm lazy OR I have too many other things to do than plant annuals every winter.

First thing that comes to mind for our part of the country are cool season native grasses. Canada wildrye, Virginia wildrye and Texas Bluegrass.

Tracey

There is a new, true summer dormant fescue "Flecha MaxQ" that has survived several dry summers at the Vernon Tx experiment station. I understand it shows good potential for the southern US. You might do a google search for more info.

I know it's not perenial but, it is bi annual and were trying it out now, it's a strain of non-heading barley from King's agri seeds in PA. We are trying a five acre sacrifice lot to see how it does.

Dusty Britches":10aof2l8 said:
I know about annual winter forages that I can plant (rye, oats, etc.) but what about perennials? What is available? What is good? What is low management?

I guess I'm lazy OR I have too many other things to do than plant annuals every winter.

Have you considered Chicory? MSU is doing a lot of research on it and Chicory looks very promising.

Texas PaPaw":1aqkuo2u said:
Tracey

There is a new, true summer dormant fescue "Flecha MaxQ" that has survived several dry summers at the Vernon Tx experiment station. I understand it shows good potential for the southern US. You might do a google search for more info.

I've been watching this Flecha for a while. I don't believe it has been released yet. It will be sold by Penningon. It was brought over from Aust., called New Zealand tall fesque.
I'm looking forward to it's release. Sounds great.

Novatech - Texas Ag Experiment Station said it will be released this summer, so this may play well into my plans.

Chicory will not do well in our soil, western. I don't know of anyone in the area who has it - and that covers a lot of ground. They don't even sell it down here.

Bluestem":2awnf9x9 said:
First thing that comes to mind for our part of the country are cool season native grasses. Canada wildrye, Virginia wildrye and Texas Bluegrass.

These are grasses I plan to incorperate. But like everthing else it takes time and money.

Latest posts