Pen renovations

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We were blessed this year to get funded through the EQUIP program. This thing is a two edged sword it helps us get some much needed upgrades done but it is also expensive. We get some money back but we have a lot going out before we can start getting any back. When you sign the contract your agreeing to building these areas to EQUIP specifications.

This is a rough layout,the Hexagon was existing we have all the gates pulled off right now where we can complete the site improvements. In the hexagon we have to lay a geotextil material leaving 18" all the way around. Once the material is down we put 3" of recycled asphalt then fold the 18" of material over then lay another 3" of the recycled material. This area is just one of several area we will be working over the next couple of years. It's going to be great if we don't go broke in the process!

[/UR

URL=http://s831.photobucket.com/user/gizmom/media/F4DAAD1C-85E1-4FBA-A0CF-C2937EEF70B2_zpshrw4ixxb.jpeg.html]

Laying out the geo textile material was a challenge especially with the wing gust we were getting. One time I thought for sure I was going on a magic carpet ride. Pens go up tomorrow by mid week it should be looking like working pens.

Gizmom

The few EQUIP programs I have been involved in, we get "paid" for our labor/machinery, so there was very little "out of pocket" money spent. I have not done a project like that. Mostly waterlines, drainage, fixing muddy areas.
Looks like you will have a great set-up. Good work facilities are NOT over-rated!!!!

Jeanne

Your 100% correct, they calculate Labor, give allowances for man hours machinery hours and materials. The contract also breaks down into different areas. We started in this location because once it's complete we will have a alternate location to work cattle. Our primary working area is washing away on us, when we start that portion of the contract it is going to take us awhile. We can submit for payment on this portion of the contract as soon as it is completed.

Gizmom

I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures. We could use a renovation of our pens but it keeps getting pushed farther down the to do list.

years of working for a conservation district and doing projects to NRCS specs. We decided that an elephant is a mouse built to NRCS specs.

You'll wonder how you ever got by without it. You'll be able to expense some of that stuff on your taxes too.

EQUIP projects are a good thing but can take a toll on the pocket book. I've never had to take a loan out to finish one but have definitely thought about it. I think more young people would get involved if they knew about all the EQUIP projects that would help them and could come up with the upfront cash. You will be glad you laid the fabric down in the corrals.

We may have to take out a loan before we finish this project, but one thing is for sure working cattle is going to be easier. Building it to Equip specs is as someone described designed for an elephant.

This photo shows the existing hexagon designed to move cattle from one pasture to another, we had a very rough pieced together working chute in this area but decided to replace it while doing the rest of the work.

New sweep, alley and holding sorting pens.

Still using the old palpating gate and foremost head gate, we want to put in a squeeze chute but just going to have to wait.

Gizmom

shaz said:
You'll wonder how you ever got by without it. You'll be able to expense some of that stuff on your taxes too.
I think that the financial help will be added to your tax statement as income. That was the way it was at one time. It has been over 50 years since I asked the government for help so it may have changed some.

snoopdog said:
I guess I'll have to look this up, is it a part of USDA?

NRCS administers out where I am, can be a good deal if you already practice the way they like, but they can make you spend a lot of effort and time meeting standards you might not need in order to get the money. keep receipts for any materials you might use on a project, they will generally let you use materials you purchased before signing up.

we did a couple fences and pipelines/drinkers with EQUIP and whatever it was called before that, but haven't done anything in about 10 years. mixed feelings about getting tangled up with the government, even though the folks on the ground are all good people.

Latest posts