Bull pen

Help Support CattleToday:

When I was out of high school I had a job on a big ranch that bordered the home place. We built a fancy new bull pen with woven wire. I'd guess the lot was 3 or 4 acres. Just got it all finished and brought in a group of maybe 15 or 20 bulls. They immediately took to fighting, at least one bull got a leg through the wire and in mere seconds there was pretty much nothing left of that wire. Couldn't even hang it back up.

rnh2 said:
What about 48 inch woven with barb on top? Guess I'll try. I can always fix fence later
with my limited unsuccessful experience a fence like shown below is not going to work out to well if the neighbor has a bull across from your fence.

2 wires of electric is all I've ever used. Right now I have 2 bulls on one side and a bull on the other with all of the fall cows. Will stay that way till February.

sim.-ang.king said:
2 wires of electric is all I've ever used. Right now I have 2 bulls on one side and a bull on the other with all of the fall cows. Will stay that way till February.
that sounds good. what height are the two wires?

Mine is 4 strands Gaucho and single interior electric. That way if they don't respect the electric, there is a good chance the Gaucho will rip their nuts off as they go through. I don't want a bull that won't respect a fence, especially electric.

Best thing for bulls is to keep them as far away from all other cattle as possible and give them ample room to fight and kill each other.

ccr said:
sim.-ang.king said:
that sounds good. what height are the two wires?

About yay high. (3-4' top wire)

Keep'er hot.

Here in Illinois we don't have a lot of oil field pipe, but we do have guard rail.
Our bulls are dry loted for the winter. 8-10mature bulls will test any fence. Three or four rails 10" apart with hedge posts behind them will hold the biggest bull right you can find.

rnh2 said:
What about 48 inch woven with barb on top? Guess I'll try. I can always fix fence later

If you are going this route on a lot do yourself a favor and put a strand of barbed wire on the inside of the woven wire, it'll save your fence from those pesky animals that enjoy scratching their butt on it.

Latest posts